LLY heads on LB7

Mullethead25

Feb 5, 2020
Hey Guys, I need a little guidance. I’ve been trying to read up on the LLY heads on the LB7 conversion for a few days now and I’m seeing conflicting information.
I’ve got an ‘04 LB7 with 200k miles. This round of injectors is approaching 50k miles so I’m thinking I want to address the wonky injector problem once and for all. I want to start gathering parts for the conversion to LLY heads.

From what I’ve read, it’s easier to keep the LB7 turbo, ECM, FICU and do a little harness tweaking. LLY injectors (thinking about 25% overs) and EFI Live to make it all speak the same language. I also reckoned I would stud it while everything is opened up.

Does anybody have a complete list of parts I’ll need to make this happen? Or a link to a thread that lays it out? I’ve got a line on a wrecked LLY that I’d like to make moves on while it’s still available.

Thanks again

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Take a look at the SAC LB7 injectors. You may find this route much easier, cheaper and just as reliable

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Like suggested, SAC injector technology and even Bosch remans that are current have come quite a long way making (in my opinion) the LLY swap useless.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Not sure if all that work is worth it. The injectors on my 2004 were replaced by the dealer at 115,000. Truck has 320,000 now. Just add a lift pump and extra filtration. But if you just wanted LLY stuff I would swap to LLY electronics.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Lly everything, plug chassis harness into the fuse box, swap nsbu, rescale fuel gage in ecm and vats relearn and your good to go.

Or do the sac’s, we install those frequently in lb7’s and they work very well. I’ve done several lly conversions and currently drive an 02 lly (entire engine swap). Either way is good, cheaper and less down time with an injector job. Lily’s have issues too, but then so do ALL duramax’s. Some less then others, then there’s luck. This can go far!!

Mullethead25

Feb 5, 2020
Like suggested, SAC injector technology and even Bosch remans that are current have come quite a long way making (in my opinion) the LLY swap useless.

If I were go with SAC injectors, could I get 45s without needing a tune and/or lift pump?

Currently running 4” intake with turbo horn, boost valve and 4” straight pipe. I’ve been thinking about getting EFI Live anyway but I’m not sure if bigger injectors necessarily require it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If I were go with SAC injectors, could I get 45s without needing a tune and/or lift pump?

Currently running 4” intake with turbo horn, boost valve and 4” straight pipe. I’ve been thinking about getting EFI Live anyway but I’m not sure if bigger injectors necessarily require it.

I would recommend a tune for any injector size over stock but that is my opinion. If you're wanting a SAC nozzle without any added size S&S does have the SAC00 which is a direct match for flow-rate vs a stock LB7 VCO nozzle.

outtatimexx

Aug 21, 2017
Perry, Ga.
My 2 cents on LB7/LLY conversion

This swap is something I had been looking at for years. My 2002 dmax has 190k. Hated the fact that injectors were so harqd to get to, but loved my truck. Looked all over for a donor engine, and found one 2 states away. Got home with it, and started planning the swap. Thanks to some guys on here, and a converted harness, and EFI live, I have my truck back. It's ironic that 3 months after I started the swap, Sac00's hit the market. Even with the sac injectors, you still face a lot of labor to change even one bad injector. know this has been beat to death on here, but my theory was, and is, if I convert, and do have a problem with even one injector, the time and trouble was worth it. Everyone has an opinion, and this is mine. Thanks to everyone who helped!