LLY ECM stand alone controller for VGT turbo on LB7 truck, is it possible?

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
I want to put 05 LLY turbo on it on my LB7 truck with doing a complete LLY swap. I want to run a stock duramax turbo to stay legal for Work Stock class truck pulls. So I cannot put a larger compressor wheel on my LB7 IHI turbo. The LLY turbo has the biggest stock duramax turbo compressor wheel and has ton of modding options. Also it would be nice to have turbo brake and that VGT turbo whistle would be pretty cool on 01 LB7 truck.

I know fleece use to make a controller but does not and will not make them anymore. I had few leads on some used ones but not having any luck. So I’m thinking maybe there is another way to put a VGT turbo on LB7 duramax truck other than complete wiring LLY swap.

Does anyone think it would be possible to use 05 LLY ECM as a standalone on LB7 truck to run just a 05 LLY turbo's vane position sensor and vane actuator? Would the LLY ECM be able to read the LB7 trucks sensors to get enough information to run just the LLY Turbo?

If its possible what info would the 05 LLY ECM need to just run the turbos sensors/actuators? Cam sensor for rpm, VSS for speed, MAP for boost, TPS for throttle position, fuel parameters like rail pressure, main injection, timing, etc... and any others ?????

any help, information or input on the topic would be most appreciated.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I know very little about VGT, but I read somewhere that some of the older Cummins people where putting VGT on and using back pressure to control the vanes. I don't know how it worked, but it would be worth looking into.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
yea i had another guy tell me something like that to make mechicancal wastegate but that sounds really evolved and not reliable to get tune it to work right. I want to use LLY ECM to run it and see if its just possible just run turbo alone if ecm could get enough info from lb7 sensors and electronics while still have LB7 electronics run the truck correctly.

Just talk to Ben Tyler doesnt seem like its possible to do just that as would prolly disrupt crank and cam sensor signals and prolly would communicate with FICM correctly to get some need info from it.

So it looks like LLY ECM and FICM with stand alone harness might be able to work and might go that route. hmmm.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I know very little about VGT, but I read somewhere that some of the older Cummins people where putting VGT on and using back pressure to control the vanes. I don't know how it worked, but it would be worth looking into.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

The cummins guys used levers and springs, you can't do that with a duramax turbo.

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
thanks for input guys but i talked to ben further and just gonna do pretty much complete swap like LLY ECM, FICM and wiring. Bens just gonna repin the wiring to fuse box to make it completely plug and play pretty much. didnt even know that was option.

Thanks again guys.

Reactions: Ddbaynard21

Ddbaynard21

Aug 16, 2020
thanks for input guys but i talked to ben further and just gonna do pretty much complete swap like LLY ECM, FICM and wiring. Bens just gonna repin the wiring to fuse box to make it completely plug and play pretty much. didnt even know that was option.

Thanks again guys.
So did you use the lb7 heads and injectors too? Also who did the tuning.

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
No its lly injectors and lly heads. Mark at Danville dyno tuned it. Really anyone can tune it. Because it has lly electronics like lly ficm and ecm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk