Lly dsp5 tune hesitation/cut out from dead stop.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i wonder if a bench flash would fix this. no help to you but an option if its availible.

also, i wouldnt count on EFI Live helping too much. They led me along as well, then told me to pound sand after a couple months of waiting on PIDS they needed to get me.

Reactions: vern650

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I emailed him your suggestion and this was his reply:

“They are correct... but the issue its having (Which I haven't seen before and no reply from EFI on it yet) is that its FORCING itself into the maps in the selections 2-5... Even though they are matched to stock - its not listening as its forcing itself into a mode we DO NOT WANT... nothing harmful - just annoying. The DSP folders only have pilot injection C and D... That is what is causing it as I could see it in the datalogs, but unfortunately it doesn't allow us to even copy the tables (Tried it) from the other maps into it.

I was hoping maybe efi could find me a way to shut that function off.. but doesnt look to be.

I can make 5 single tunes if you want? This one kinda has us stuck.”

I’ll probably just go for the 5 individual tunes for now and see if that fixes it and maybe efi will get back to him with a solution.
doesn't sounds like they are using the base tune as the largest tune and then using the DSP tunes to dial it back as James suggested. the other tables that are not available in the DSP tune section are not needed to correctly make the different tunes work properly doing it this way

Reactions: vern650

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
doesn't sounds like they are using the base tune as the largest tune and then using the DSP tunes to dial it back as James suggested. the other tables that are not available in the DSP tune section are not needed to correctly make the different tunes work properly doing it this way
i was gathering that the tuner make all 5 tunes stock but was still having this issue. He would have to clarify that.

vern650

Mar 27, 2014
hyrum, ut
I don’t know anything about any of this so all I can do is repeat what I’m told.

At one point he sent me a tune that as I understood it, was stock in all 5 positions off idle where the issue is occurring but after that had the increased power. This tune still had the hesitation. He later sent me a tune that was completely stock in all 5 positions, again as I understood it, and this tune did NOT have the hesitation in any position.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I emailed him your suggestion and this was his reply:

“They are correct... but the issue its having (Which I haven't seen before and no reply from EFI on it yet) is that its FORCING itself into the maps in the selections 2-5... Even though they are matched to stock - its not listening as its forcing itself into a mode we DO NOT WANT... nothing harmful - just annoying. The DSP folders only have pilot injection C and D... That is what is causing it as I could see it in the datalogs, but unfortunately it doesn't allow us to even copy the tables (Tried it) from the other maps into it.

I was hoping maybe efi could find me a way to shut that function off.. but doesnt look to be.

I can make 5 single tunes if you want? This one kinda has us stuck.”

I’ll probably just go for the 5 individual tunes for now and see if that fixes it and maybe efi will get back to him with a solution.
Out of all the LLYs I’ve tuned this has never been an issue. I’ve seen an issue where tunes are rumble idle causing a slight hesitation as the vanes take a moment to move back to a reasonable position but not a pilot or main dip.

vern650

Mar 27, 2014
hyrum, ut
Maybe my truck has something funky going on or something. As big as this tuner is I’m sure he’s seen his fair share of Lly’s and I’d hope he’s familiar with all the usual issues and solutions.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I didn't go back and read, but do you have a lift pump?
My LBZs CP3 would have are lack of fuel pressure before my lift pumps got put on. I don't think it was a constant issue or anything I could feel all the time. I could definitely see a difference looking at the logs though after adding a lift pump.

vern650

Mar 27, 2014
hyrum, ut
I didn't go back and read, but do you have a lift pump?
My LBZs CP3 would have are lack of fuel pressure before my lift pumps got put on. I don't think it was a constant issue or anything I could feel all the time. I could definitely see a difference looking at the logs though after adding a lift pump.
Yeah, I have Kennedys twin pumps.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don’t know anything about any of this so all I can do is repeat what I’m told.

At one point he sent me a tune that as I understood it, was stock in all 5 positions off idle where the issue is occurring but after that had the increased power. This tune still had the hesitation. He later sent me a tune that was completely stock in all 5 positions, again as I understood it, and this tune did NOT have the hesitation in any position.

Then to me it sounds like he needs to reverse what the base tune is. Ask him if he’s willing to switch the base tune to the highest hp and number 5 to “stock” power.

Reactions: vern650 and 2004LB7

vern650

Mar 27, 2014
hyrum, ut
Then to me it sounds like he needs to reverse what the base tune is. Ask him if he’s willing to switch the base tune to the highest hp and number 5 to “stock” power.
He essentially said that won’t work with this particular issue and would still do the same thing 🤷. I don’t know enough to keep questioning him on what he’s doing, but I sent him a link to this thread if he’s at all interested in hearing your guys opinion.