Lly coolant coming ftom around injector

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
I have a lly here.. haven't tore into it yet but there appears to be coolant leaking around 1 injector.. no pressure in coolant and starts just fine.. leaks bad enough to smell it.. is the head cracked?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
and you're absolutely sure its not leaking from somewhere else, and then dripping down, making it LOOK like its coming from around the injector.....???

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
lol I know ben.. when the guy called me and told me this i was thinking the same thing I didn't believe him myself.. looked all over and completely dry above injector wet trail coming straight from injector.. gonna pull the injector tomorrow and look for the hole.. been told electrolysis :( truck runs great. Whos got heads?? :hello:

Last edited:

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
not a great pic but above the injector is nice and clean.

Attachments

• Resampled952013-03-079512-32-4695302.jpg
    Resampled952013-03-079512-32-4695302.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
There is a lot of 'meat' in the cylinder head around the injector bore. I just find it hard to believe its cracked all the way through, especially in that area....

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
There is a lot of 'meat' in the cylinder head around the injector bore. I just find it hard to believe its cracked all the way through, especially in that area....

and it only has 115000.. miles but the guy just bought it so would not surprise me the guy before knew about it.. I did have a problem with electrolysis on my lb7 ate away all my cup seats every single one... he first took it to a gm dealer ship they looked at it and said it was the head.. they also just visually looked by taking inner fender out and ic pipe as I did.. will be interesting to see if I do see my problem when I pull the injector.. I didn't believe it could be true but for how dry above the injector is.. I would love to tell him its not the head since he just bought it

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia

btw ben I think there should be sale on lock up boxes soon.... just in time for pulling season:thumb:

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
well I could not find anywhere else its leaking looks like its either coming from the bolt hole or injector bore. when I look down the bore I do see a lil ripple if that's what I should say. that doesn't like quite right have way down the bore in one spot. injector bolt came out hard the entire way.. and I know the oring was pinched on injector either from factory or the previous owner knew about it and put it back together. now if I put coolant back in and put pressure in the system with the injector out do you think I could see the leak?

Last edited:

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
haha ya I guess so.. do u think I would be able to see it if I put pressure on it with injector out?? I got heads already and gaskets should be here Monday..

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
well I found the leak!! this might not be the correct way but.. I put pressure in the system couldn't see anything sprayed a verrrry small amount of soapy water down the injector bore and started bubbling like crazy just above where the copper washer sits!! got the head off just waiting for parts... he wants to try and just fix this one side.. so I hope the other side is ok. will be doing a water pump tho.. now quick question cant remember will blocking the egr set a code?

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Digging this up I have a truck in for the same thing leaks horrible around the injector I pulled the injector and coolant was all over in it. What would cause this kind of crack? This truck has 226k but just had new headgaskets put in 15k ago they were bad for some time before that. Possibly got it to hot to many times and finally cracked threw :confused:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I saw it on a brand new set of POS DTS heads. The guy didn't feel like tearing it apart again so he put blue devil head gasket sealer in and its been fine for over a year!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
if you try to use an additive like that, I wouldn't recommend running it through your entire system. maybe pump it in with a standalone pump and lines. And take the tstats out first.