Linux BigAdv is coming very soon:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17695

Now even if you don't have a bigadv machine, this is significant to those willing to run Linux. The normal SMP jobs run faster under native Linux than they do under Windows, by up to 20%.

Pat

So far, my two 8 core servers, slow and old servers that is, are kicking out the 6901 bigadv tpf nicely. The original server, which was about 50 to 54 minute tpf is now just at 38 minute tpf which is over 20%. The older 8 core 4p server could not do bigadv but is now doing them at about 45 minute tpf and is well over 20% better as a whole. I realize I don't have a true benchmark as 6901 wu's are new. Just commenting on the tpf as a whole and the ability to complete comfortably may open the door for other now capable machines.

I was away for just over a week and as you'd know it, network switch locked and zero WU's submitted while I was away. :eek: Back on track now.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
OK, the 6.34 client is available for download.

This file replaces the fah6.exe file you normally have. Just write right over it.

For some of us running linux64, download and rename fah6.exe to fah6 and replace the current client, it will download the newer a5 core and will also download a bigadv WU if -bigadv is set in parameters and minimum requirements are met.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Mike, make sure it's running the correct # of threads when you run 6.34, or best bet is to run -smp 8 or whatever # of cores you have.

Sometimes it will double or quadruple the core count. This will slow everything way down.

But yes, the new Linux stuff is WAY faster than the older stuff.

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
:cussing:

Makes me wish my parts for my 4P build would hurry up and get here. Probably be another 2-3 weeks before I get all of them in and get it up and running.

I am also going to try Windows Server 2008 R2 first to get a TPF for a few WUs. Then, I am changing over to Linux to see how much lower the TPF is.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you have more than 20 processors, there is a bug in the new Linux client that reduces performance. In that case, run Win. Miss Piggy (-smp 24, with H/T on) is back to Windows again.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Mike, make sure it's running the correct # of threads when you run 6.34, or best bet is to run -smp 8 or whatever # of cores you have.

Sometimes it will double or quadruple the core count. This will slow everything way down.

But yes, the new Linux stuff is WAY faster than the older stuff.

Thanks for the heads up Pat, will make the changes now and restart the client after the WU to insure 8 cores on both.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
If you have more than 20 processors, there is a bug in the new Linux client that reduces performance. In that case, run Win. Miss Piggy (-smp 24, with H/T on) is back to Windows again.

That stinks. Have you tried two smp 12 clients in Linux Pat?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
2x smp 12 < 1 smp 24 due to the high bonus curve on BigAdv.

Turning of H/T fixes it, but it reduces performance 16%.

They are working on a fix, but for now, you'll get more performance from Windows with more than 20 cores, and more performance from Linux with less than 20 cores. 6 cores with Linux rips.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
2x smp 12 < 1 smp 24 due to the high bonus curve on BigAdv.

Turning of H/T fixes it, but it reduces performance 16%.

They are working on a fix, but for now, you'll get more performance from Windows with more than 20 cores, and more performance from Linux with less than 20 cores. 6 cores with Linux rips.

Makes sense on the 24 cores vs 2 12 core.

Is 6 cores better than 8? I could do 2 smp clients one 6 and one 2. I've had nothing but grief with the 16 core Opteron server. Works real good if I run four 2 core smp clients but sucks any other way. I'm thinking I have a m/b problem. Can't afford to run it, all the old turds I have running now use 2kw an hour and that one just isn't cost effective unless I get it fixed.

Time to go new tech I think. M/b's are 3 to 7 hundred bucks for the same thing.

On a side note, i have a Sun Server V40z 4p 8 total cores at 2.6ghz each for a folding rig, that thing uses over 600 watts an hour, what does your 24 core server use power wise?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Makes sense on the 24 cores vs 2 12 core.

Is 6 cores better than 8? I could do 2 smp clients one 6 and one 2. I've had nothing but grief with the 16 core Opteron server. Works real good if I run four 2 core smp clients but sucks any other way. I'm thinking I have a m/b problem. Can't afford to run it, all the old turds I have running now use 2kw an hour and that one just isn't cost effective unless I get it fixed.

Time to go new tech I think. M/b's are 3 to 7 hundred bucks for the same thing.

On a side note, i have a Sun Server V40z 4p 8 total cores at 2.6ghz each for a folding rig, that thing uses over 600 watts an hour, what does your 24 core server use power wise?

"Miss Piggy" is actually 2x 6-core with H/T. Windows reports 24 cores, but it's really 12 cores with a 16% boost from the H/T virtual cores.

Since it runs at 4ghz, it burns about 560w right now steady. Power goes way down if I run it at stock speed (2.6ghz) but what fun is that?

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
"Miss Piggy" is actually 2x 6-core with H/T. Windows reports 24 cores, but it's really 12 cores with a 16% boost from the H/T virtual cores.

Since it runs at 4ghz, it burns about 560w right now steady. Power goes way down if I run it at stock speed (2.6ghz) but what fun is that?

As usual, looks as if I got the wrong message. I was thinking the new cores were lower wattage. Guess total power for this one isn't so bad. Takes a lot of kw to pay for a newer one.