Lighting Bolt VGT solenoid

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I keep seeing these on the Ford forms and they are now masking them for lml and lbz. What's the info on these. I kind of am not a believer until Danville, Titan or other turbo companies start saying other wise. There suppose to make the turbo charger very very fine tuneable and increase substantial air flow on low end. Any insight on this product?

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I keep seeing these on the Ford forms and they are now masking them for lml and lbz. What's the info on these. I kind of am not a believer until Danville, Titan or other turbo companies start saying other wise. There suppose to make the turbo charger very very fine tuneable and increase substantial air flow on low end. Any insight on this product?
I’m right with you on once Danville or some big name embraces them i wonder about it. Sounds good tho if really does what they say.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I guess I always look to mark because he is one of the few who builds turbos and tunes them.. so I have never heard or seen him complain via lly,lbz or lmm the lack of turbo control. Now lml maybe I can see this working for them because "especially mark" cause he had to build turbos around the fact of not having full control over the turbo with in the tuning software from my understanding

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Tim is 100% correct, snake oil! Now compared to the chinese solenoids flooding the market this one is probably better but the factory Garrett solenoid is the best hands down and no reason to change it unless it isn't working correctly.

Reactions: N2BRK

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Tim is 100% correct, snake oil! Now compared to the chinese solenoids flooding the market this one is probably better but the factory Garrett solenoid is the best hands down and no reason to change it unless it isn't working correctly.
Thanks Mark. I was wondering what your opinion is on them. Was kinda my assumption as well.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can see it maybe working on a 6.0 Powerstroke because they don't have an actual vane position sensor like our turbos. They rely on an exhaust back pressure sensor to make vane adjustments and probably some sort of table that tells it X volts/amps on the VGT solenoid will provide Y vane position which it probably fine tunes with the exhaust pressure sensor sort of like our desired vane tables work in conjunction with the desired boost tables. I can't see them doing anything for us though since our trucks use a vane position sensor. The computer will alter the amps/volts to the regulator to make the vanes move where it wants them.