Lift springs

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hey guys, well it’s becoming time to order the rear deavers for the truck. I went with a cognito 7-9” lift (thanks radrichie). I plan on running it as low as possible (flattest angle i can get) on 35’s. Well here is my dilemma, do i go with 6” springs or 4”? I am planning on a sulastic shackle so would it be better to go four and account for the shackle and its lift? Or do i go six with the shackle and anticipate spring sag? Not sure. Any insight in the shackle? Is it needed? Or are the spring good enough? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well the 7-9" lift is going to go as low as about 6-7". if it were me, i would buy the 4" lift springs, put the shackles on and adjust ride height with a small 1" or 1/2" block if needed. leaf springs will sag over time, even stock ones so when they start to do so, send them back to deaver and they will re-arch them or replace bad leafs. thats very common for those that desert race on leaf springs still. once or twice a season they need a refreshing but they last a little longer on a truck that wont be using 16-20" of rear suspension travel all the time :D

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I have 6" deavers on my 6" RCD lift and used 3" lowering shackles in the rear. So far it's sitting perfectly level. I went that route in case if I upgraded my front suspension to the Cognito 7-9" which I will be doing in the future.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Ridingmc:
For your lift how high are you running it in the front?

James:
I see what your saying but my only thing is the sag over time. I would be afraid that even with a one inch block the sag will sit to low eventually only being 4-1/2 to 5” at best. I know i can rearch them (aint no one got time foe dat shit (j/k)) when they start to squat. I hated having to do it every season for my yota. Also i do tow a 28’ toyhauler once in a while. So i know the sag should happen a little faster for the 6”...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Deaver adds height by adding arch. Not the best way to keep height. Their springs with no added arch already lift the ass end 2-3” iirc.

That’s just my suggestion though. This will come down to what you like best. I personally would rather have a custom pack built so the truck rides like a cloud. It’s just tough to figure out how to haul the trailer too in the way I would like

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
My front is probably the same as your lift with leveled CV shafts, mine has a little angle to it in the front. However James is right, they added more arch to the spring to gain lift, it does ride stiff but it's a little better than stock with overloads. However, when it comes to towing heavy, it'll sag. You'll have better ride quality by getting a 4" spring with a block and get airbag for the towing part.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
What I meant was the ubolts for a deaver 6” lift spring to stock axle. Not for 6” blocks... thanks guys/gals for any insight

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What I meant was the ubolts for a deaver 6” lift spring to stock axle. Not for 6” blocks... thanks guys/gals for any insight

I don't think the Deaver springs are that much thicker to require a special u-bolt. Worst case, measure the pack height when you get them and call a local spring shop as they usually bend them to suit from threaded rod.