Lift pump, Delete stock fuel filter?

rshunter

Aug 14, 2018
Purchasing a Fass Lift Pump, Should I get the fuel filter delete? Is there really a GREAT benefit to continue with the stock fuel filter? Thanks

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Keep it, otherwise you have 10+ft of a unfiltered line with dirt and shit in it from the last 100+k that goes right to the CP3/injectors. I love it when someone brings a truck over with a deleted factory filter $$$$ :rofl:

rshunter

Aug 14, 2018
Keep it, otherwise you have 10+ft of a unfiltered line with dirt and shit in it from the last 100+k that goes right to the CP3/injectors. I love it when someone brings a truck over with a deleted factory filter $$$$ :rofl:
Thanks, Great point

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Run the provided line up to the quick connect or straight to the cp3 also. If straight to the cp3, i went from half to 3/8 with fittings (not a splice) so it could still be bled close

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I’ll give a little more background to these stories. Truck #1 guy brings it in for tuning it gets fairly mild tune stock trans, I check everything out balance rates ect tune it, test drive ect. I recommend a lift pump he planned on doing it himself and on his way he went. 3 months later it comes back smoking a lot, I look it over balance rates are real bad see he has a lift pump and a filter delete. Pulled the filter delete off and the bowl had sediment in it. Well new injectors, cp3, factory filter, and a good clean out later he’s on his way. Showed him what was in the
filter delete bowl to he gets the awe fuk look.

Truck number 2 truck shows up with the classic idle problem with a bad regulator rail pressure not matching desired, checked balance rates, replaced the regulator, rechecked balance rates and it looked good. Guy wanted tuning later on down the road I recommend a lift pump to. Well on his way he goes. 6 months later it comes back smoking I look it over and yup it has a filter delete and a lift pump with real bad balance rates. Pulled the filter delete bowl and guess what it’s got shit in it. The guy decided to fix it himself, it got injectors still has the filter delete and the trucks still not right when he came back for tuning. One hell of a trans story to but it’s unrelated to this topic :roflmao:

All I can say if you do delete it replace the fuel lines or do one hell of a good job flushing them, it’s a low spot in the fuel system so once you have enough flow in the line that stuffs going to move.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I thought everyone runs the blue line up to the back of the fuel rail? That eliminates the factory lines on the supply side completely.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I've deleted the factory filter on all my trucks. One thing I will say is if you do delete the factory filter upgrade the filters on the lift pump. I have an airdog and their filters arnt the best. I used the Baldwin bf1275 water separator and the Donaldson p551315 to replace the filters.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I thought everyone runs the blue line up to the back of the fuel rail? That eliminates the factory lines on the supply side completely.

It might delete the factory sections of hose, but you’ve actually added more rubber exposed to the system as the factory hardline also gets replaced with rubber which no matter how good a quality hose you use will eventually start to break down.

I don’t recommend the delete of the filter in the factory location to anyone using the truck as anything other than racing/pulling. I would maybe get rid of the factory housing and use something better that won’t leak with at min a 4 micron filter, but not delete. Too much risk imo.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
hard facts. there is no good reason to remove the factory filter unless its in the way of a compound. even then i would relocate it. the factory filter provides no performance restriction and protects all that fancy expensive fuel system stuff. ;)

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Yinz are ridiculous. Lol

I drove mine daily for 6 years with no factory filter. Changed lift oump filters maybe twice in 6 years. Still had stock CP3 that held 26k on 45s. The lift pump has lower micron than the oem so what exactly is it filtering?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I wouldn't be too worried about running a hose straight from the lift pump to the cp3. What do you think happens to the stock rubber lines between the filter head and cp3 after 10+ years?

I will say that I wouldn't put a delete bowl on the stock housing, waste of money with no benefit. Just delete everything. You know what they say, if you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much space LOL

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wouldn't be too worried about running a hose straight from the lift pump to the cp3. What do you think happens to the stock rubber lines between the filter head and cp3 after 10+ years?

I will say that I wouldn't put a delete bowl on the stock housing, waste of money with no benefit. Just delete everything. You know what they say, if you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much space LOL

How much hose is there after the filter head? Very little. Not much exposure of rubber to the fuel system by comparison.

I guess you guys have never had a rubber fuel hose come apart inside and totally fack things up. I have seen it on many trucks, equipment, and dmax’s. It usually takes a few years but it does happen.

Y’all can do what you want. As a mechanic and what I’ve seen over the years, I will continue to say it’s a bad idea.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Are all of you that are in the 700 rwhp range that are running a filter head , doing so after removing the 1/4 in ball and spring and drilling out the 3/8 seat ? It is hard to imagine running a lift pump that pushes 100, 165 , 220 gph ,after sucking the fuel up from a large 5/8 line to a 1/2 in line to a small restriction like the seat in the filter head that there is no restriction there , especially when the cp3 wants a steady 10 psi max .