Let's Talk About Electric Water Pumps

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Guys,

I've been meaning to talk about this for a while, it just seems that 24 hours in a day isn't long enough to get everything done, I want to get done.

Unfortunately that means my participation on the forums isn't as frequent as it used to be.

Let’s talk electric water pumps:

I have noticed more and more racers killing cylinder heads due to their use of electric water pumps. This phenomenon started a few years ago, and it took a little while for me to wrap my head around what was actually happening, then a little longer to prove my hypothesis.

Basically, the electric water pumps don’t flow enough volume to keep the cylinder heads cool. Now you may look at the advertised flow rates and argue that the manufacturer claims their pump moves 50 or so gpm. What they are not telling you, is that is a free flow rate. As soon as you ask that pump to push fluid through a restriction (like a block or cylinder head etc) the flow drops by approx. two thirds. Mechanical pumps don’t drop off near as much under the same circumstances.

The water temp gauge is showing the average coolant temp of water exiting the engine. With the reduced flow of the electric pump, we see localized hot spots in the cylinder head that are not reflected on the temp gauge. The most common occurrence is in the area between the two exhaust seats. This area gets extremely hot during a sled pull or drag race and if there is not enough coolant flow to remove the heat fast enough, the coolant temp in that area begins to rise faster than other areas of the cylinder head, as it rises, the pressure in that area also increases. As with all fluids, the tendency is to flow from high pressure areas to low pressure areas. As the temp and pressure increase in that hot spot, the coolant flow decreases or stops, as the fluid finds lower pressure areas to flow to.

The net result is that the aluminum begins to lose heat treat in that area, as the material softens, the exhaust seat gets pounded into the casting and loses concentricity to the valve guide, resulting in loss of seal between the exhaust seat and valve and eventually a loss of compression in those cylinders. In other cases, the localized overheating also causes an otherwise stable cylinder head to crack, usually in the exhaust ports.

Cast iron heads wont lose heat treat, they just crack.

Cylinder heads that have experienced this phenomenon will show perfectly acceptable hardness numbers everywhere except around the exhaust seats.

I had one customer that was convinced his dual electric water pumps were more than adequate. I asked him to perform a simple experiment: Remove the thermostats from a truck with a stock mechanical pump and also disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator and aim it over the top of the radiator and out the front of the truck. Start the truck and run it up to about 3,000-3,500 and observe how far the fluid is expelled from the truck. Perform the same experiment on his race truck with the electric water pumps. The difference in flow was astounding.

Our new engine dyno is outfitted with digital flow meters for coolant, oil, and fuel. Once we finish the dyno installation, I will publish the flow numbers of all of the commercially available electric pumps vs mechanical pumps, as installed on a Dmax engine. For now, I recommend higher HP racers use a mechanical pump if at all possible.

We have options available for stock location and remote mounted mechanical pumps as do others I'm sure.

Guy

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
This has worried me for a while! the stock water pump still out flows my S/W electric at 2800rpm i can only imagine how much it out flows at 4400rpm:eek: However im not in a posistion to swap back to a stock water pump. My rad is in the back of the truck and I changed where water goes into the block from drivers side to Pass side.

What option do you have for a remote mount mechanical? Is the mech flow thru? I would like to keep the electric for cirulating while in the pits:thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Has there been any mods found to get the mechanical pumps to hold up? Last I heard welding wasn't really working.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
some have been pinned and welded, some have used the LBZ style pump without modification to the pump itself. This topic has been brought up before though and the end result was basically "Let's try it until it doesn't work anymore." It would be interesting to see if other head manufacturers' heads were having the same rate of cracking near the exhaust seats due to the reduction of coolant flow. Who else has some data?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Is it the pump RPM or the design of the pump blades itself?

If design, any thoughts on modified blade design on a elec pump?

Most elec pumps I have seen in person have a very small volume area that moves water. Where the Duramax pump (blade) is 2-3 times the size and volume. (IE: Like a bigger turbo wheel with less blades).

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have to agree there Mike. Maybe there is another electric pump we haven't seen yet that isn't so small. My Stewart pump surprised me when I took a look inside.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I agree with mike as well, we put one on the puller, cant say that I was impressed with the impeller size as well as the volume. We were more after being able to circulate coolant with the truck off in the pits, just in case we ever get in a pull off.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
This has worried me for a while! the stock water pump still out flows my S/W electric at 2800rpm i can only imagine how much it out flows at 4400rpm:eek: However im not in a posistion to swap back to a stock water pump. My rad is in the back of the truck and I changed where water goes into the block from drivers side to Pass side.

What option do you have for a remote mount mechanical? Is the mech flow thru? I would like to keep the electric for cirulating while in the pits:thumb:

http://www.meziere.com/ps-1224-1191-wp430s.aspx
They also make some that flow even more that are not on their web site. It also comes down to power. The more power you make the more heat their is to displace. Their are some applications where the electric pump or two, one for each side of the engine may be marginally adequate.

Has there been any mods found to get the mechanical pumps to hold up? Last I heard welding wasn't really working.
For LB7 and LLY we modify an LBZ pump to fit, with a CNC machined radiator hose stub that fits the LB7/LLY lower hose, as well as the normal welding etc.

some have been pinned and welded, some have used the LBZ style pump without modification to the pump itself. This topic has been brought up before though and the end result was basically "Let's try it until it doesn't work anymore." It would be interesting to see if other head manufacturers' heads were having the same rate of cracking near the exhaust seats due to the reduction of coolant flow. Who else has some data?

Make some calls, do your own research, you won't believe anything I say anyway. :hug:

Is it the pump RPM or the design of the pump blades itself?

If design, any thoughts on modified blade design on a elec pump?

Most elec pumps I have seen in person have a very small volume area that moves water. Where the Duramax pump (blade) is 2-3 times the size and volume. (IE: Like a bigger turbo wheel with less blades).

Certainly the impeller size has a lot to do with it. Problem is as the impeller size grows, so does the drive requirements. The motors need to grow and the voltage supply needs to grow as well.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I've seen those pumps amd many others...Sadly I'm fubared without running some big changes! I've searched for big electric and the aussies do make a 220 gpm but its tough to find for sale????

You do have to realize blade pitch VS volume.

What I need is a big ass electric and S/w is not interested

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
http://www.meziere.com/ps-1224-1191-wp430s.aspx
They also make some that flow even more that are not on their web site. It also comes down to power. The more power you make the more heat their is to displace. Their are some applications where the electric pump or two, one for each side of the engine may be marginally adequate.

Make some calls, do your own research, you won't believe anything I say anyway. :hug:

Certainly the impeller size has a lot to do with it. Problem is as the impeller size grows, so does the drive requirements. The motors need to grow and the voltage supply needs to grow as well.

Guy, I think that any tech related theory should be revisited indefinitely until the answer is found, so thank you for starting the thread. What I was getting at was that from those that I've talked to so far, its fact that not all high HP racing or pulling motors are suffering from this fate despite running seemingly inadequate water pumps. In between the exhaust seats is a common spot to find cracks on stock heads that have been run on stock/lower power dmax applications, correct? Coolant flow may or may not have been a factor in such failures, so how else would you go about reducing the heat created in that area of the head to minimize the hot spot?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Electric water pumps and Brodix heads still have heat related issues over exhaust seats so mechanical is only waterpump to run them. Tim, part of the issue that is also being over looked is power vs. rpm and we are maintaining more of them than ever before. More rpm makes it more difficult to keep the heat down and controlled. When you are talking
1500++hp in 3.0 trucks and rpms being maintained above 4800rpms and well into the 5200+rpms this problem is not going to go away on its own.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thanks Mark. I Dont think it was being overlooked now, nor in the past, since the discussion first got heated around the time of Pat running LSR with Casper. Then and to this day I still think about what Curtis achieved though in Dyno testing failure points of multiple configurations, as have others that aren't even known by the forum.

But your post reminded me of another question to pose for this discussion. Why not build around making power lower in the rpm range? It's worked for trucks like the caged hooker for years...