Leaking nozzles, fix?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I jumped in to help a buddy that finished his build and can't get the truck to run. I found several issues and everything is resolved except for injector problems. I had him bring them for testing and 5 came back bad. After talking to him about them, I disassembled and found that he reassembled them wrong after extrudehoning the tips to 60 over. I reassembled them correctly and he took them to re-test. As it stands now, 3 have good injector bodies, but are "leaking at the nozzle" according to the test facility, and the remaining 5 are good. Is there a way to refresh with a new pintle or something, or are those tips trash now? Thanks in advance :) Wally

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
were they used tips when they were sent to be opened up? how where they assembled wrong? how many miles on bodys/tips if they are used?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
This is a perfect example of why shops recommend buying complete injectors instead of doing nozzle swaps yourself............

To answer your question, I do not know of anywhere to buy the injector internals without requiring a dealer/shop account that specializes in injector remanufacturing/building.

Are they leaking out of the nozzle where the holes are? Are they leaking where the nozzle and nozzle nut meet? Are they leaking where the nozzle nut threads onto the body?

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I did mine the same way 10 years ago and still run them today, but maybe I'm just lucky :)

I called him. The report states:

#2 nozzle stuck open
#6 nozzle stuck open
#8 slight nozzle drip

As for the history, I'm not sure. He bought a set of "good" used LBZ injectors and took the nozzles off and sent them to Extrudehone. He reassembled several out of order with regard to the shim inside (the order of parts - nozzle spring, shim, etc). After I reassembled them all correctly, these three are the problems that he has left.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its hard to say then.

ive done the new bigger tips on used injectors and stock new injectors with new bigger tips but never done used injectors and taken the used tips and had them honed out. it was always a 50/50 chance your tips could be honed out if they were not already wore out.

he might be better off getting new, 60% over tips and throwing them on the used injectors.

as far as i know, everything in the tip has to wear together. putting new parts in it wont fix them iirc

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That’s what I wasn’t sure of. I warned him from the get-go not to mix parts and to beware of the puck, lol. But I don’t know if ordering nozzle parts will do anything.

Do we have a vendor that might sell him some good 60 over lbz tips?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That’s what I wasn’t sure of. I warned him from the get-go not to mix parts and to beware of the puck, lol. But I don’t know if ordering nozzle parts will do anything.

I can sell him some tips from S&S.

Reactions: Bdsankey and N2BRK

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I can sell him some tips from S&S.
Josh is a great guy and will make sure you get taken care of!

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
He is, and he's right that the truck needs all 8 - and S&S is an excellent recommendation... but it's not going to happen. This guy is flat broke and trying to bandaid it onto the road with a repair to the three bad tips only. Poor planning and underfunding of the project. :( Spent the money where he need not, and doesn't have it for what he needs now. He's like 20K into this build and we are bullshitting about injector tips - Ugh.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Sadly this may be one of those "shouldn't have cheaped out in the first place" scenarios. Your buddy is going to have to buck up and do something or not have a truck. Does the company that flowed/balanced them have any suggestions on what to do next? IE replace the nozzles or rebuild the injectors?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He is, and he's right that the truck needs all 8 - and S&S is an excellent recommendation... but it's not going to happen. This guy is flat broke and trying to bandaid it onto the road with a repair to the three bad tips only. Poor planning and underfunding of the project. :( Spent the money where he need not, and doesn't have it for what he needs now. He's like 20K into this build and we are bullshitting about injector tips - Ugh.
not even just stock tips? i have stock brand new LLY tips in my garage but im pretty damn sure they wont work on LMM/LBZ bodies

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
He just texted me that he bought 8 eBay 60 over tips and gaskets for $600. New condx 100% feedback seller.

Fingers crossed. Hope it’s not a new problem coming.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I truly wished him the best of luck and said I’d swap the tips for him. Maybe it’ll work. He is who he is and I can’t get mad, lol. If I asked him to help me, he’d show up - I’ll do the same.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
He just texted me that he bought 8 eBay 60 over tips and gaskets for $600. New condx 100% feedback seller.

Fingers crossed. Hope it’s not a new problem coming.
I’d tell your buddy that he’s could’ve gotten known good nozzles from S&S for not much more…………

oh boy... hes one of them guys...
Gosh I hate people like that………

“How much is XYZ item”
*gives price*
“Thanks” *proceeds to buy off eBay/amazon*
“Hey man, I’ve got an issue with my truck. Can you help me?”

I truly wished him the best of luck and said I’d swap the tips for him. Maybe it’ll work. He is who he is and I can’t get mad, lol. If I asked him to help me, he’d show up - I’ll do the same.
The problem is your buddy here seems to love to ask at least you for direction/help then doesn’t follow that info. I wish him luck but I think he made one heck of a mistake.

Reactions: N2BRK

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I’d tell your buddy that he’s could’ve gotten known good nozzles from S&S for not much more…………
I wouldn't say "not much more" considering that 60% nozzles from S&S would have been more than double, but I go back to the old saying of buy once cry once. Those cheap nozzles seem like a good deal until they cost an engine. It seems like it might be a case of throwing good money after bad since eBay is known to have a lot of low quality injectors, but I really hope it works out for him.

Reactions: N2BRK and Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I wouldn't say "not much more" considering that 60% nozzles from S&S would have been more than double, but I go back to the old saying of buy once cry once. Those cheap nozzles seem like a good deal until they cost an engine. It seems like it might be a case of throwing good money after bad since eBay is known to have a lot of low quality injectors, but I really hope it works out for him.
Sorry, been awhile since I've purchased just nozzles as I don't much care for it.

Either way, that is one heck of a good mantra to follow.