Leaking coolant

billford1223

Jun 4, 2021
My lbz was leaking coolant on driver's side head and was previously studded. I had new gaskets installed and coolant is still leaking from same location on driver's side head. It's right where head and block meet. Experienced mechanics completed the job and are baffled. Any ideas on next steps?

Thanks

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Something doesn't seem right If they installed new gaskets and they are leaking again. Not saying the mechanics are bad but we are all human and make mistakes. You probably won't know until you tear it back apart

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
What part of the head is it leaking from? We see it mis diagnosed all the time. Usually it's the turbo coolant house, thermostat tube seal or the orange o-ring in rear cover. Only seen one head gasket leak externally and it was from rust & corrosion.

Reactions: Bdsankey and dmax02

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree, probably coming from somewhere else. Coolant will wick into the gap between the head and block and make you think it's coming from the head gasket. Follow the leak uphill along the gasket and see if you can find the true source.

I did have a LB7 head gasket leaking externally, but not enough to notice until we had the engine mostly torn apart. It was leaking internally far worse, and we caught it in an oil sample.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
My 06 was blowing coolant out the side of the driver head so bad it was all over the t case. So it’s possible. But kinda sounds like the head has an issue or worst case the gasket didn’t get changed…

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Same here I just finished head gaskets on my lbz and it would pour coolant out of the passenger side head when it sat overnight