LBZ: LbZ new turbo no boost

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
06 lbz put a new turbo on it this weekend. 63mm with vgt. “drop in unit”. Truck started sounded good, could hear it do the learn, vanes open and close. Let it run for about 20 mins, Took it for a short drive came back and cleaned up. Drove it 2 miles and everything seemed good till I stop at a stop sign, could hear the vanes close then go open and then seemed to be stuck open. Put a new actuator in it and ran the test it opens and closes. But still zero boost. Checked for obvious leaks, not finding anything. No codes no cel. No power no boost and excessive black smoke. What am I over looking...... watching data pid for map sensor when brake torque it goes down to 94 down to 87 instead of going up. Also Checked the air filter, it’s still brand new, checked vane position vs desired and seems to stay pretty close. Also checked fuel pressure desired to actual and it’s staying the same. Don’t see any leaks at the up pipes. It doesn’t build any boost, at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
When I was watching it was bouncing between 70 and 85

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
How are you determining if your making boost or not? If your vane position is 75-80 you have to be making boost unless you have a leak. Like your Y bridge blew out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Going off the boost gauge on the CTS. Then hooked up my snap on solus to see what was going on. Map sensor is going down instead of up. I have a strap on the y bridge but I did look at it and didn’t look to be popped out

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
One other thing I forgot to mention. It has a pcv reroute and a block off in the turbo mouth piece. It is pushing that out, at some point. I just noticed after driving it the one time it was pushed up

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Sprayed the y bridge and all the connections with brake clean and didn’t get any type of idle change. Going to pull the mouth piece off tonight and make sure the turbo spins.

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Well pulled mouth piece off and the induced wheel almost fell out. Brand new turbo and have a broken shaft. Going to get it pulled back off This weekend and get it back to the builder see what he’s going to do. He thinks it might have starved for oil but idk, I cranked on it a lot to make sure it had oil and and let it sit and idle once I did start it.

nskyline34

Nov 27, 2010
Seattle
Well pulled mouth piece off and the induced wheel almost fell out. Brand new turbo and have a broken shaft. Going to get it pulled back off This weekend and get it back to the builder see what he’s going to do. He thinks it might have starved for oil but idk, I cranked on it a lot to make sure it had oil and and let it sit and idle once I did start it.

Starving for oil doesnt break shafts though... it would be scored and the bearings would be roasted. You didnt leave a 10mm deep socket in the intake did ya? :rofl:

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
Deff no sockets in the intake ha. Idk going to try to get it pulled this week after work. Hoping it’ll come out fairly easy since it just got put on but we’ll see

nskyline34

Nov 27, 2010
Seattle
What made you replace it to begin with? Want more power or did you have problems with the stocker? Also how long did it take you the first time? I believe I've got missing vanes in mine and am thinking about pulling it this weekend...not stoked.

dylon333

Dec 24, 2017
I just built the Tahoe in my sig and thought I’d replace it while the body was off the frame because I didn’t want to have to mess with it later and I wanted an upgrade. It was supposed to be preventative ha but we see how that worked. I’m hoping to have it back off there in about an hour but All my boots were just out and I’ve already got the 3in down pipe