LBZ Exhaust and cold air intake suggestions

HuskerBob

2007 Classic 2500 HD LBZ
Sep 7, 2014
Memphis, TN
I am new to this forum and my first post. I am wanting input anyone may have on which cold air intakes and exhaust to pick and why.

I have a 2007 Classic I bought brand new and has about 155K. I have run a hypertech for years on stage 3. It is in the shop currently having a 6" superlift, steering stabilizer and all new bilstein shocks. It was suggested that using a tuner I should open up the intake and exhaust to let the engine breath better when hopping on it. I am being steered to a Diamond Eye 5" with an S&B intake.

Also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks! Bob

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
There's Lots of different opinions on this subject already circulating the forum cuz someone starts a thread like this thread about every week, searching a bit will give you plenty to think about...
:thumb:

However I'll give .02 about it quickly

You can mod your stock air box to flow more than enough air for a stock tuned truck and even a built trans tuned truck, for free...and the stock Donaldson paper filter is an awesome filter!!!
It's called the DIY PPE air box mod IIRC..

As far as an exhaust goes, diamond eye is a good product that can be had at a very reasonable cost and there's absolutely no performance benefit to be had at your power level by going beyond 4"

Welcome to the forum!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
You're welcome
:hug:

At the top of the forum page there's a search function in the lower part of the header three words over from the right, open the tab and select "advanced search"
The advanced search page Looks like this (if the link works, you have to be logged in to use it)
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/search.php

Type in "key words" that your searching for, then hit the search now tab, and that will take you to a page that usually has several threads that contain the key words you entered, it's not always as cut and dry as that but it works well and you'll find tons of info to chew on
;)

Have fun and good luck
:)

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
There are many exhaust options. I usually go with what's cheap and it works out good. As far as intake, stay stock. There will be very little gain for the money plus stock filters a lot better.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Take your time before doing the PPE airbox mod, no proven gains on a hack job to a perfectly working airbox. The fan looking thingy at the opening of the airbox has a purpose, to knock incoming dirt and water from entering the face of the filter, if anything remove some sheetmetal from the fenderwell, looks a little restrictive..........

sc972x.jpg

-
-
-

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Go with the S&B intake. As for exhaust any 4” or 5” should work. I prefer the 5” because they seem to be a little quieter and less high pitch drone. JMO

Reactions: Kaluna00

Kaluna00

Feb 27, 2021
Thanks Nate, I always heard that 4-inch was the way to go. With a 50 inch Donaldson Muffler. That was my plan after the stock exhaust needs to be replaced. I'll have to do some more research on the 5 in if you say that's actually quieter than the 4-inch.