LBZ Ecm in a LLY truck

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Can it be done? and what would it cost and would I be able to have everything else work? since the protocol is different I'm guessing it wouldn't but figured I would check. just tired of the slow ass LLY ecm. and would be nice to not have a FICM.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No, you'll have to change everything else to LBZ as well (TCM, harness, transmission, fuel system, reluctor wheel, etc)

Whats wrong with the LLY ECM? I know Mark Broviak has spun LLY's up to 6,000rpm..

Ben

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
The thing is slow. Why is it a LBZ/LMM can have better throttle response then a LLY? Yeah I can use my tap shifter and hold say 3rd gear to 2600 and stab the throttle and it will rip but when I tune an LBZ or LMM with the desired torque to pedal position tables I can get great throttle response. and with the LLY it seems nothing will repeat that? RPM is not the issue its the sluggish nature of the LLY I don't like. Yeah I forgot about the TCM. well going with the 2800 stall soon so I will see if that helps some. At one point I messed with the TLIQ table in the DSP setting and made a huge improvement in throttle response but then it was like having no defuel and I was sure it would snap an Input shaft in no time lol. But man crack the throttle and it was on. Maybe I should revisit that and see if that would help I usually just adjust the bottom row from 1800rpm up or so and shifts fine.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If I read your signature right your running lmm injectors in an lly truck using lbz heads? I didn't know an lly ficm woukd Fire the injectors correctly? Hmmm

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Work on your tuning...theres really no reason an LBZ ECM would be "snappier".

Has absolutely nothing to do with the LLY ECM/FICM.......

torque limited injection quantity, MAF limited inj qty, TBIQ, etc. Experiment with those and you'll be able to make it as snappy as you want.

Also check out the "idle pedal adjustment quantity" table.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Work on your tuning...theres really no reason an LBZ ECM would be "snappier".

Has absolutely nothing to do with the LLY ECM/FICM.......

torque limited injection quantity, MAF limited inj qty, TBIQ, etc. Experiment with those and you'll be able to make it as snappy as you want.

Also check out the "idle pedal adjustment quantity" table.

Alright will do. thanks for the advice.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I've only tuned mostly stock LLY's, but I've never had an issue with them not being "snappy". Even my old LB7 is pretty dang snappy and responsive. I've always felt the newer BOSCH ECM's were softer, smoother, and slower to react than the DELPHI's.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I use Kory's tuning in my truck and others I tune. Not sure if catman is talking about the same thing but the LML's 60hp tunes feel a lot quicker than my LLY in any tune.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
OK so got to the bottom of it LBZ injectors with LMM 6 hole nozzles. Ferm. I have always been able to get LB7's to have better throttle response then a LLY and an LBZ even better then any of them. when I set out to tune my 11 I was able to get response so quick I could crack the throttle and smoke the tires at say 20 mph and not that smokey either. I back that down to make it less touchy but when you wanted to go in an intersecton or taking off it did just that, no big smoke and no lag. just ripped. I backed that down do to it being too touchy and not driver friendly. even on my 15' with 35's and weighing 8300# the throttle response is instant now that I have tuned it. (not deleted) I definitley not the only one that thinks LLY's are sluggish. But then again maybe some have found the right combination to make them quicker, So first thing is a 2800 stall convertor and freshen up the trans (its time) and then set out to dial this thing in.

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
No shit?? lmao. you know responsive. like when you crack the throttle shit happens.,

I agree, LLY's feel like they ride the short bus. Our LB7 is far more responsive than either of our LLY's were on any tune. LML, different story too. :spit: