LBZ 100hp tune?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Just got my truck back from the shop.. New turbo, EGR delete, and they also put in a Kory Willis PPEI EFI Live 100HP tune. I asked them about possible problems with the trans, and they said this tune won't do any harm to the truck. Everyone I've talked to though has told me any power over stock in a Duramax and that Allison wont last long. I dont run the truck hard. I drive it normal and tow with it.. Will 100hp tune hurt the trans at all in your opinion?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Torque converter would probably fail first if you do have problems. You should have a transgo jr put in.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just start putting money aside for a rebuild a few years down the road. If you are nice to it, and maybe a little luck, it will last just long enough for you to have the money needed to get it built.

How you treat it will greatly determine how long it will last. Try not mashing the peddle while its in 5th or 6th. Ease into it and let it downshift before giving it more

Firefightkev

May 30, 2014
Central Florida
I wouldn't tow with it. Especially if you have a heavy load behind you. Now if your just driving normal and not getting into it all the time it's not a bad tune to have. I had korys tune on a LLY and liked them, but when I towed I would run a 40 tune with turbo break. But like said prior save your money for a new tranny because you never know how your trans will hold up.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just put a block of wood under the go pedal so you can only go half throttle :roflmao:

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
If that's the case I want them to take that tune back out. Im not trying to win races or hot rod it, I just want a reliable truck for work and towing..

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If you haven't done anything to your trans I'd get that tune out.
I put 160 000 miles on my LBZ with various power levels of tuning with just a transgo jr and billet converter. So it can be run with stock clutches and tuning but you have to know what you are doing.

I'd recommend about a 50-60hp tune and get someone to put a transgo jr shift kit in at the very least.

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC
Have them make you a ~40hp heavy tow tune with turbo brake. I run that tune when I am towing and it runs really well. Temps are good and the turbo brake works really well.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
2x what was just said

A transgo jr, while not a built transmission, it will help it live just a little bit longer. I would stick with a 40 HP tow tune until you are ready to have the transmission built up

If you are mechanically inclined, even just a little bit we can help guide you on the install. Its really not that hard. If you don't have the tools or confidence then its best to have a shop do it

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
I'm going to call the shop back Monday. I did read that Kory Willis has "trans safe" tunes.. Not sure if that's what I got.

Either way, I just did a 300 mile trip today and was completely AMAZED by the power. It's crazy.

But again, from everything y'all are saying and my research, I'm probably gonna have them take the tune back and put something smaller in it. I don't want to do anything to the transmission.... I'm not a hot rodder, I just want to tow with it and work. 360hp/650lb tq was plenty to begin with

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you're going to tow, then keep it around 40-50+ hp.

Can I ask? When you already got great advice from the guys here, why did you just now go over to DP and ask the exact same question you did here?
You arent going to get a different answer there than you did here -- and if you do, I would highly recommend you not trust it.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If you're going to tow, then keep it around 40-50+ hp.

Can I ask? When you already got great advice from the guys here, why did you just now go over to DP and ask the exact same question you did here?
You arent going to get a different answer there than you did here -- and if you do, I would highly recommend you not trust it.

Because he didn’t like what we said :roflmao: “but it says trans safe”

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Wanted multiple opinions. No, I'm not just going to listen to someone who says it's okay. From all the info I got, it ain't okay for my uses.

Here's the deal I need some input on. I want to either get a switch or programmer where I can turn the truck back to stock or at least crank the power down when I have a load hooked on the rear.

I was advised to get a DSP3 switch where I can choose from stock, 40hp tow tune, and a 100hp trans safe tune.

Are these PPEI tunes compatible with this kind of switch? Or is there maybe just a programmer I can get where I can adjust the power?

Y'all can laugh and make fun all y'all want. I'm just trying to get real input on what I can do. I know not the first thing about tunes or programmers. All I know is that I damn sure want a way to turn the power down after what everyone is saying

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Wanted multiple opinions. No, I'm not just going to listen to someone who says it's okay. From all the info I got, it ain't okay for my uses.

Here's the deal I need some input on. I want to either get a switch or programmer where I can turn the truck back to stock or at least crank the power down when I have a load hooked on the rear.

I was advised to get a DSP3 switch where I can choose from stock, 40hp tow tune, and a 100hp trans safe tune.

Are these PPEI tunes compatible with this kind of switch? Or is there maybe just a programmer I can get where I can adjust the power?

Y'all can laugh and make fun all y'all want. I'm just trying to get real input on what I can do. I know not the first thing about tunes or programmers. All I know is that I damn sure want a way to turn the power down after what everyone is saying

This has been covered before, you can search for it.
But any power over stock will reduce the life of the transmission. Yes the trans can handle the 100hp but for how long. Yes it can handle 50hp towing, but how long. Get a transgo jr put in with mike L springs.

Now you can get a DSP5, 5 tunes. You’ll need a new tune from ppei. I personally don’t like switching tuning especially with a stock transmission because it does need time to learn. But other people like being able to switch tunes.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

Your problem is you don't want to listen to who says it's not ok. There are more forums around. Check with them and when you find your answer, go with and live with it.