LB7 runs and drives, Doesnt start unless primed. Dealer says injectors

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
Mriley where are you located at?

I'm located in Queensbury NY. I'm currently driving the truck on my way to Enfield CT where I live part-time. The truck is going to stay down there until I can figure out what to do.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
by the way, im currently driving the truck as a type this to CT. i have with me, plugged in, one of those simple 200 dollar autozone scanners. any info you guys would like me to post that might be relavent? im not towing, crusing at 70mph. absolute fuel rail pressure is fluctuating between 15 and 18k depending on grade. MAF reading fluctuates between 19 and 22. MAP reading fluctuates between 32 and 34

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
Is it making oil by chance?

Also does your scanner read balance rates?

Making oil? Do you mean leaking oil? Not that I'm aware of, but iI haven't climbed underneath her in awhile so its possible..
scanner does not read balance rates, in fact the information I provided is pretty much the extent of what it tells me, not much more relevant info on there

have no noticeable loss of power, the truck doesn't shake, dump black smoke, lopy idle, no abnormal sounds

Aaron@LDS

Goin' Broke!
Vendor/Sponsor
Jan 19, 2013
Saint Johnsville, NY
Going to CT with it huh? I'm not far from Queensbury NY (about an hour west of there). If you don't figure it out I will take a look at it with you.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Making oil? Do you mean leaking oil? Not that I'm aware of, but iI haven't climbed underneath her in awhile so its possible..
scanner does not read balance rates, in fact the information I provided is pretty much the extent of what it tells me, not much more relevant info on there

have no noticeable loss of power, the truck doesn't shake, dump black smoke, lopy idle, no abnormal sounds

Making oil means that are you getting fuel in your oil. Check your oil after putting some miles on and see if has more then before.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
Aaron, if things don't work out I will absolutely take you up on that offer. Johnsville isn't far at all. It truly is a beautiful truck, literally not a spot of rust anywhere, not even bubbling. Under the door jams, in the cab corners, over the wheel wells, even on the bottom of the tailgate theres none. Its just a shame that the integrity of the motor doesnt match the body. A damn shame

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
If it will only start if you prime the filter head......how are you guys deducting injectors?

the filter doesn't go directly to injectors....it goes to the pump then injectors. The system does not store pressure in the lines when shut off.

It is some sort of air leak before the pump, more than likely the filter head itself. If you changed the filter lately, check there too.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
i I have replaced the fuel filter, replaced the WIF sensor, and rebuilt the O-rings in the fuel filter head. Than when i dropped it off at adirondack truck repair those goons did the exact same thing, even after i told them what i had done. Sure enough he threw a new fuel filter on, and rebuilt the fuel filter head also. I'd like to say its not the fuel filter head but I'm no pro.

I got home a little while ago, drove almost 3 hours, even brought it to WOT once just to see if that would do anything. Parked it in the driveway, shut it off and went to start is back up immediately and it still needs to be primed while cranking, amazing

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I would try and pressurize the fuel system from the tank and check for leaks.

Follow all the hoses under truck and look for kinks, twists, anything out of the ordinary.

No sense in throwing 2k worth of parts at it just to see if that's the issue.

Aaron@LDS

Goin' Broke!
Vendor/Sponsor
Jan 19, 2013
Saint Johnsville, NY
If it will only start if you prime the filter head......how are you guys deducting injectors?

the filter doesn't go directly to injectors....it goes to the pump then injectors. The system does not store pressure in the lines when shut off.

It is some sort of air leak before the pump, more than likely the filter head itself. If you changed the filter lately, check there too.

It may be injectors returning too much fuel, but you most likely would have noticed a trend starting to happen. When injectors start returning too much, the first sign is that it will start when cold, but will crank for a long time once the truck is warmed up. The problem generally gets worse. Eventually not starting at all when warm... Then not starting period. Trucks with the return issues do not usually lose prime. So if yours is actually losing prime I doubt your injectors are the cause. Sometimes the Schrader valve will leak causing a prime issue. Just something to check.

If you ever do need injectors, we at Lincoln Diesel Specialties stock OEM Bosch Remans.

I agree John

Aaron@LDS

Goin' Broke!
Vendor/Sponsor
Jan 19, 2013
Saint Johnsville, NY
mriley, did you ever check to see if you were ACTUALLY losing prime? Remove the bleeder screw and pump the primer till fuel comes out. Then pump the primer till the truck starts. Once the truck has been running do the same procedure. If you notice more air in the filter again then you likely have a prime issue. If you have full fuel at the bleeder screw but it still wont start, then you do not have a prime issue.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
what happens is after getting it running and shutting it off, the primer is soft again and needs to be pumped back up. i dont even want to touch the bleeder screw at this point because atleast right now it starts, as it sits i can sell it because it runs fine. i can tell you that before i dropped it off at adirondack truck repair i couldnt get it to start at all, i must have bled that thing 100 times and couldnt get it to start, so i had it towed over to them where he was atleast able to get it to start every time

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
i have a guy who might be coming to buy the truck on sunday as it sits, and another guy who wants to trade for his 03 silverado SS, if neither of them doesnt follow through than ill look furthur into this

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
what happens is after getting it running and shutting it off, the primer is soft again and needs to be pumped back up. i dont even want to touch the bleeder screw at this point because atleast right now it starts, as it sits i can sell it because it runs fine. i can tell you that before i dropped it off at adirondack truck repair i couldnt get it to start at all, i must have bled that thing 100 times and couldnt get it to start, so i had it towed over to them where he was atleast able to get it to start every time

How are they getting it to start every time? They aren't using starter fluid I hope!

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
The CP3 may be getting weak and the part of the pump that pulls the fuel from the tank, though the filter, and up into itself may be wearing out. By adding a primer pump, like a FASS system, you will assist the CP3 pump and may get it to run a little longer. Typically the fuel system is good for 150,000 miles.

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Had a friend with one fighting a slow start/no start condition. It would spin and spin but would not start. IT sounded like it was spinning over a little lazy and it would reset the Tech2 when starting. Went over the battery terminals and found one of the cables loose. Cleaned and tightened them and it spun faster and started right up .. Spinning slow and would not build RP..