Lb7 radiator

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
Has anyone used the direct replacement radiator from xdp https://www.xtremediesel.com/xdp-x-tra-cool-direct-fit-replacement-radiator-xd295
I noticed some coolant in the snow under my truck on the passenger side I checked the petcock and it seems to be tight so I was looking at purchasing one from xdp unless someone in northern Illinois or eastern iowa has one laying around that is good

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've installed 2 and so far no issues (6mo old or less). The build quality seems pretty good but much more than that I can't comment.

dirty_maxxbob

Jan 19, 2015
ca
Has anyone used the direct replacement radiator from xdp https://www.xtremediesel.com/xdp-x-tra-cool-direct-fit-replacement-radiator-xd295
I noticed some coolant in the snow under my truck on the passenger side I checked the petcock and it seems to be tight so I was looking at purchasing one from xdp unless someone in northern Illinois or eastern iowa has one laying around that is good

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Hopefully I’m not to late in this, I’ve bought just about everyone out there for my 02’ and after many frustrating orders the dealership is the only one I would recommend. Ordered the XDP one and had it pressure tested at a local shop and it was already leaking. Bought 6 more all from different places ( rock auto, gm parts direct, o’reliys, autozone, pep boys, and even an EBAY one) they all ended up being the same as the manufacturer as the XDP one! Went to my local chevy dealer and picking one up and felt like I took it in the ass but it was definitely worth it. Plastic side tanks where thicker plastic was definitely heavier duty then the other 7 I had bought. Had that pressure tested and held like it was supposed to.

So to answer your question, in my experience everyone bought from the same cheap China factory but GM. I hate saying this, but call your local dealership and see if they have one in stock. If I was going to do it all over I’d call a CBR whis local to me and have them build me one and just spend the extra 250 on top of what the dealership one cost me. It would have been a true 2.5” end cap and would be all aluminum. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Buy the genuine GM part. We have had very little success with cheap aftermarket radiators. Most leak right out of the box. Even tried Mishimoto in my personal truck and got tired of changing them less than a year later when they started leaking.

Reactions: Bdsankey

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Guess I'm the minority. I put in a Spectre back in 09. The only issue I had was the nuts that hold the trans cooler tight loosened up and coolant started weeping around them. Tightened them up 4 years ago and it's still going.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I suspect that the options available many years ago were better than what is out there today.

I have a Mishimoto radiator in my LB7 Suburban, and it has been perfect. But I have heard that newer Mishimoto stuff is not nearly as good.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

jpalmer

May 2, 2015
Reno NV
I was just talking to a guy the other day with a Chevy 4500 and about 5 years ago they put in a cheap one to save $7-$800 bucks instead of a factory one. The Trans cooler inside the radiator cracked and started putting antifreeze in the tranny, that just cost him a bunch more than the rad would have!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So, this is probably what I get for posting that my Mishimoto has been perfect, but it sprung a leak where the core meets the tank on the left side. Apparently their older stuff isn't any better than their newer stuff. :/

Put a brand new OEM radiator in while Mishimoto replaces this one. I'm on a first name basis with the local GM dealer, got it for $515 out the door.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Another solid option is Northern Radiator. We've used a ton of them at my shop. They've got the same size core as OEM but slightly higher fins per inch as well as a better band (steel) to keep everything together.