LB7 DIC MPG

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Anyone have any experience adjusting table B0781 in the LB7 tunes to make the MPG on the cluster more accurate? I have a friend of a relative that would like me to adjust the tune, which he says is off by about 20%, to see if I can make it more accurate.

I don't know if it is off 20% access the whole range, city or only highway. Didn't get too much information yet. Would it be safe to just bump all the numbers in B0781 up 20% as a start or is there a specific area I should focus on? Never played with this table as my LB7 didn't have that function on the DIC

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Maybe I should make an Excel spreadsheet that compares the difference between the stock PW table and the modified one and spits out the percentage. Then plugs the percentages into the DIC MPG table. Wonder if that would at least bring it back to stock tune accuracy. Wouldn't account for fuel pressure changes but may be better than guessing

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_073832.jpg
    IMG_20230126_073832.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 14

660catman

May 18, 2021
I’m not sure if the accuracy of the DIC changes with years. Last fall on an all highway 1400 mile trip my actual mpg was 26.7. The DIC was higher at just over 28 mpg. Not towing and 65 mph cruising speed. Flat terrain and temps around 50f. Truck is all stock with no tune.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Does B0781 just affect the DIC MPG? nothing else? And what variables does it consider? Just trying to learn a little.
I believe all it does is affect the display. Nothing else. When the PW is modified it throws the DIC further off then it was stock and this table was a means of bringing it back in line with stock or perhaps even better if one wanted to spend the time

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’m not sure if the accuracy of the DIC changes with years. Last fall on an all highway 1400 mile trip my actual mpg was 26.7. The DIC was higher at just over 28 mpg. Not towing and 65 mph cruising speed. Flat terrain and temps around 50f. Truck is all stock with no tune.

The method the DIC gets it's MPG reading or the calculation to obtain the MPG changed when GM went from the Delphi ecm to the Bosch. And possibly changed again with the Denso.

My understanding is the ECM in the Delphi ECMs did the math and calculated the MPD from the table. Then sent the information to the cluster. In the Bosch ECMs the MPG is calculated from the MM3 pids since the tune is torque based to MM3 vs the older ones using MM3 to torque. The latter years using the PIDs "should" be more accurate even when tuned then the Delphi method of look up tables

Oh, and 26.7 MPG ? Must be down hill both ways with a tail wind

Reactions: 660catman

660catman

May 18, 2021
The method the DIC gets it's MPG reading or the calculation to obtain the MPG changed when GM went from the Delphi ecm to the Bosch. And possibly changed again with the Denso.

My understanding is the ECM in the Delphi ECMs did the math and calculated the MPD from the table. Then sent the information to the cluster. In the Bosch ECMs the MPG is calculated from the MM3 pids since the tune is torque based to MM3 vs the older ones using MM3 to torque. The latter years using the PIDs "should" be more accurate even when tuned then the Delphi method of look up tables

Oh, and 26.7 MPG ? Must be down hill both ways with a tail wind

I forgot to mention that’s a Canadian gallon. US mpg would be around just over 21.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I adjust that table on all my LB7 tunes. You can just adjust it 20% across the board, but doing it based on PW modification works better.

I made a spreadsheet a long time ago to do that for me. I'll try and find it after work and upload it.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: turbovan

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I adjust that table on all my LB7 tunes. You can just adjust it 20% across the board, but doing it based on PW modification works better.

I made a spreadsheet a long time ago to do that for me. I'll try and find it after work and upload it.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk
That would be great. Otherwise I can wip one up pretty easy if needed

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That would be great. Otherwise I can wip one up pretty easy if needed
I was half way through making a calculator and ran across, I believe your calculator. It ended up being what I was building. So I just abandoned mine and used yours. If he ever stops by I'll load it up and see how he likes it

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I couldn't find where I'd posted this publicly before, so here it is. Last modified in 2009, so probably could use some updates with what we've learned about tuning so far.

The concept is really simple, about the only thing that jumps to mind that could make this work better is factoring in the injector lag. But overall, this has always gotten the DIC MPG readings close for me with stock injectors, and I don't own any rigs with stock injectors anymore, so I leave the updates as an exercise for the reader.

Attachments

• DIC Fuel Used Calculator.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Incase you can't find the calculators in the future. I've dumped them all here

Reactions: LBZ

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I forgot to mention that’s a Canadian gallon. US mpg would be around just over 21.

I always use US MPG as I’m nowhere near old enough to remember Canadian mpg when people actively used it and the only place on this continent you’re gonna buy a gal of fuel is in the US so……lol!

Last time I hand calculated mine I was .5 mpg lower than the DIC. I can live with that. Changed some tuning a bit so I should do it again and see where I’m at. Interesting to see how that table affects the DIC.

660catman

May 18, 2021
I always use US MPG as I’m nowhere near old enough to remember Canadian mpg when people actively used it and the only place on this continent you’re gonna buy a gal of fuel is in the US so……lol!

Last time I hand calculated mine I was .5 mpg lower than the DIC. I can live with that. Changed some tuning a bit so I should do it again and see where I’m at. Interesting to see how that table affects the DIC.

I’m an old school Canadian who lives out in the country where’s the roads are a MILE apart. I convert litres divided by 4.54 to gallons. Distance travelled in kilometres times .625 to get MILES. This litres per 100 km BS just confuses people with this pucking metric system!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sure. Just curious why you still use the 4.54? If you change your vehicle to mpg it’s going to use the US measurement anyways.

Liters per 100 means nothing if you don’t know exactly how many liters you have in the tank. Super dumb.

660catman

May 18, 2021
Sure. Just curious why you still use the 4.54? If you change your vehicle to mpg it’s going to use the US measurement anyways.

Liters per 100 means nothing if you don’t know exactly how many liters you have in the tank. Super dumb.

Nothing in the guage cluster changes other than the odometer or any DIC message so I don’t bother. It’s not like I calculate mpg each time. Truck is fairly new to me and I was just comparing what my Silverado 5.3 did on the same trip. That did 18 mpg or 14 US mpg at best.
In the old days MPG was good with a higher number. So when we went metric someone decided to confuse us more with litres per 100 kilometres where it’s fuel usage to go 100 kms. So a lower number is better!

A bit off topic but I posted to give you an idea of how far off actual and DIC mpg’s were in one situation.