LB7 custom 66 turbo failure

hhh217

Oct 17, 2010
I am looking to get a second opinion on how a situation was handled with one of my customers on a recent job.

One of my customers with a LB7 stopped by that needed the injectors replaced. He decided to call up Dans Diesel performance and order new sac 45% injectors, new injector lines, sportsman cp3, BD manifold, dsp5 tunes and one of their custom 66mm turbos. I replaced all parts and retuned truck back to the customer. I got a call a few hours later saying truck lost power, cloud of white smoke and the bed is covered in oil from the bed stack. He had the truck towed back to my shop. I pulled the turbo horn and found the intake wheel was spinning free on the shaft, shaft had play and had damaged the housing a little. The next day the truck owner contacted Dan’s and sent them the video I had of the intake side of the turbo. Dan’s immediately told him he must have a boost leak and he over-sped the turbo. He was advised to pull the turbo and ship it back for testing to decide on how it will be handled. I pressure tested the system on video to show we had no issues on our end. I pulled the turbo and the truck owner shipped it back to Dan’s. He got a call a few days later and said the turbo wasn’t repairable, they had the wrong torque spec on the compressor wheel and that is the reason it failed. They built him a new turbo and shipped it out. So after about a week and a half I received a new turbo which I installed the same day and returned the truck to the customer. Dan’s shipped the new turbo back regular ground shipping and refuse to pay for anything else. My customer is out of the tow bill, return shipping to send the damaged turbo back, my labor and a few gaskets needed to install it. If the problem was 100% Dan’s fault shouldn’t they help with some of the costs after the turbo failed?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am looking to get a second opinion on how a situation was handled with one of my customers on a recent job.

One of my customers with a LB7 stopped by that needed the injectors replaced. He decided to call up Dans Diesel performance and order new sac 45% injectors, new injector lines, sportsman cp3, BD manifold, dsp5 tunes and one of their custom 66mm turbos. I replaced all parts and retuned truck back to the customer. I got a call a few hours later saying truck lost power, cloud of white smoke and the bed is covered in oil from the bed stack. He had the truck towed back to my shop. I pulled the turbo horn and found the intake wheel was spinning free on the shaft, shaft had play and had damaged the housing a little. The next day the truck owner contacted Dan’s and sent them the video I had of the intake side of the turbo. Dan’s immediately told him he must have a boost leak and he over-sped the turbo. He was advised to pull the turbo and ship it back for testing to decide on how it will be handled. I pressure tested the system on video to show we had no issues on our end. I pulled the turbo and the truck owner shipped it back to Dan’s. He got a call a few days later and said the turbo wasn’t repairable, they had the wrong torque spec on the compressor wheel and that is the reason it failed. They built him a new turbo and shipped it out. So after about a week and a half I received a new turbo which I installed the same day and returned the truck to the customer. Dan’s shipped the new turbo back regular ground shipping and refuse to pay for anything else. My customer is out of the tow bill, return shipping to send the damaged turbo back, my labor and a few gaskets needed to install it. If the problem was 100% Dan’s fault shouldn’t they help with some of the costs after the turbo failed?

While the failure is 100% their fault you will NEVER get any aftermarket company to cover a towing bill or labor, that's how it's always been and how it always will be. I am a little surprised they didn't send gaskets since they put them in the box on a new order.

At this point you've gotten all you will out of them on this occurrence, be happy they repaired it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That is unfortunately the world we live in. He should be happy they stepped up and admitted they screwed up the turbo. It is very rare that a company will cover labor, and I have never had a company cover towing.

Reactions: Bdsankey