LB7 Alternator Options in 2023

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
After 20 years and 250k+ miles of faithful service, it appears the alternator on my 2003 is giving up the ghost (I'm starting to sporadically get the "Battery Not Charging" message on startups). I'm curious what the consensus is these days on replacement alternators.

I've learned the hard way on previous vehicles to A) Not buy reman electrical components, and B) Only buy OEM electrical components. I was going to do the same thing here, but it's turning out to be trickier than expected.

There's not a great OEM option. AC Delco has two tiers (OE and Gold). The OE (highest) option for a 2003 is extremely expensive, and doesn't seem to be available except at some oddball websites. The Gold is readily available (including on Amazon for <$100), but is made in China, and well....meh. Not a fan.

I've also heard that alternators from the LBZ will also fit. I can find the AC Delco OE / "GM Genuine" version (which, as a bonus, is the upgraded 145 amp) for <$200 online and <$300 in stores, which is made in Mexico. Still meh, but less so than China. Can anyone confirm an LBZ alternator would work on an LB7? Pictures have them looking very similar, but they definitely have different part numbers.

Or is there another option behind door #3 that I'm missing? Priority is longevity / durability. Secondary would be availability at local parts stores (for ease of warranty replacement on the road, if needed).

Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've have good luck woth AutoZone replacement alternators. Never have one fail early. Cheap too. Lifetime warranty???

Reactions: Pure Diesel

bearwolf50

Feb 3, 2012
I replaced my stock alternator with a XDP High Output 220 Amp Alternator XD224 5 years ago and have no problems.....

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
On mine I just bought and replaced the Regulator/brush assembly from a local Alternator shop. Did that around 215K, now have 335K. On mine when it was failing I could smack it a few times and it would charge for 30 or so miles then drop out. Was able to milk it back home from a trip to San Diego, just took a little longer. I think at the time the part was $50 ish.

silvrmax04

IBEW local 24
Apr 18, 2007
md
20 yrs and 250k miles is a good run. I would buy the same one you have on there or have it rebuilt with Oem parts.

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Quick update.

I did consider rebuilding the alternator, but I had an early failure the one time I did that myself some years ago. Likely operator error, but it's had me a little gun-shy, nonetheless.

The USA aftermarket pieces seem really nice, but they're way overkill for what I need, especially considering their price.

I wound up putting in the "AC Delco OE" / "GM Genuine" 145 amp unit from an LBZ. Part number 22781131, $181 shipped from Amazon. As you'd expect for a 145 vs 105, the body is a little bigger overall, but the pulley height is only about 1/4" taller. My truck calls for, and has installed, a 117.7" HD Gates belt, and it still fit on with ease. No need at all for a longer belt.

New alternator also fixed the "Battery Not Charging" message. I'm thinking the alternator may have been going bad, or at least only had marginal output, for a good while. I've noticed for several months that the truck wouldn't crank over nearly as fast as it used to. I'd just assumed that it was the colder weather. It's been cranking noticeably better all weekend since replacing the alternator and driving it a bit, including a cold start in the mid-20s this morning.

OMRI2x4.jpg

474I775.jpg

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Quick update.

I did consider rebuilding the alternator, but I had an early failure the one time I did that myself some years ago. Likely operator error, but it's had me a little gun-shy, nonetheless.

The USA aftermarket pieces seem really nice, but they're way overkill for what I need, especially considering their price.

I wound up putting in the "AC Delco OE" / "GM Genuine" 145 amp unit from an LBZ. Part number 22781131, $181 shipped from Amazon. As you'd expect for a 145 vs 105, the body is a little bigger overall, but the pulley height is only about 1/4" taller. My truck calls for, and has installed, a 117.7" HD Gates belt, and it still fit on with ease. No need at all for a longer belt.

New alternator also fixed the "Battery Not Charging" message. I'm thinking the alternator may have been going bad, or at least only had marginal output, for a good while. I've noticed for several months that the truck wouldn't crank over nearly as fast as it used to. I'd just assumed that it was the colder weather. It's been cranking noticeably better all weekend since replacing the alternator and driving it a bit, including a cold start in the mid-20s this morning.

OMRI2x4.jpg

474I775.jpg
Typically when you don't change the belt tensioner does not ride in an ideal location meaning it is towards the max of it's adjustment.

Is your tensioner fairly close to center of it's range of motion?

Reactions: Dozerboy

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Typically when you don't change the belt tensioner does not ride in an ideal location meaning it is towards the max of it's adjustment.

Is your tensioner fairly close to center of it's range of motion?

It's nowhere near the max. It actually appears very close to dead nuts in the middle, though I'd prefer tighter if I had the choice.

ZItldLn.jpg

The alternator (with a ~180 degree belt wrap) sitting 1/4" higher dictates that the tensioner (also with a ~180 degree wrap) must swing about 1/4" further out. With the tensioner arm length at around 3.5", that only comes out to about 4 degrees. With an easy 30+ degrees left in the tensioner, it's a non-issue.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I bet that belt is stretched.

The 145 amp Alternator calls for 119.5 Thats originally why I mentioned you would need a longer belt.

If the one you have works, run with it.

Reactions: Bdsankey

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
I bet that belt is stretched.

The 145 amp Alternator calls for 119.5 Thats originally why I mentioned you would need a longer belt.

If the one you have works, run with it.
It's possible, but I doubt it. It's a 1-year-old heavy duty Gates fleet belt with 12k miles. I went through a dozen+ belts on my old supercharged car, and they never stretched any significant amount before just breaking.

I saw the 119.5" spec for an LBZ with a 145 alternator (as well as the 118.7" spec for the LB7 with LB7 HO alternator), so I went ahead and bought the 119.5" and had it ready in case I needed it. With the existing belt going on as easily as it did (seriously, not even kinda close to too tight), I quickly realized the 119.5" would be too long. Sent it back.

When I was researching around before posting here, I came across a couple of old posts confidently stating that an LBZ HO alternator would fit right on an LB7 with the factory length belt. But they were older posts without much corroboration. I'd now say it can pretty safely be confirmed.

At the end of the day, the LBZ alternator only measuring 1/4" taller tells the story. Worst case scenario is needing a 1/2" longer belt.