LBZ: Latest EFI update has screwed me

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So wanted to buy another license and was told with the latest update I have to update my scan and tune and firmware first. So updated v8 scam and tune and now when I plug in my v2 to update the firmware it says it’s not connected when clearly it is as it lights up but has a blank screen.

Anyone else run into this and have advice on how to fix the issue?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Installed efilive on my wife’s windows 8 laptop and it works now. Apparently the latest version does not support xp. So guess I have to go buy a new laptop. Kind of want a touchscreen anyways.

Any advice on which operating system I should get?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I got 14 years out of XP on two different Dell’s. Tough OS to beat for reliability. Was thinking about going to 10.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. Windows 7 would be my next favorite as it carries a bunch of other awesome XP features. Windows 10 is kind of a mix BUT currently is the only main supported OS. Windows 7 is already on end of life and will soon be cut out for updates, windows 8 ins't far behind it (especially after they gave everyone free windows 10 upgrades).

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. Windows 7 would be my next favorite as it carries a bunch of other awesome XP features. Windows 10 is kind of a mix BUT currently is the only main supported OS. Windows 7 is already on end of life and will soon be cut out for updates, windows 8 ins't far behind it (especially after they gave everyone free windows 10 upgrades).

Microsoft just released an update for xp if you can believe it. Regardless my first choice would be windows 7 then 10

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you can still run the latest update with an added driver to your XP. i was pissed when i updated about 8 months ago and my V2 did the same thing. i found the drivers on EFI Lives site by a guy that posted asking the same thing. works like normal now. not the easiest to install and i wish i could remember what i did to make it all work but it was kinda trial and error.

honestly, i need to just update to a new computer. my 2005 del laptop is running on borrowed time :roflmao:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you don't browse the internet on your old XP laptop, I'd get the drivers James was talking about and keep rolling with it.

I am probably one of the biggest Windows 7 fans out there, but with only 5 months of support (security updates) left, it doesn't make a ton of sense to do a brand new install. Once the support ends, you'll need to treat it like Windows XP and avoid the internet, or you could get viruses / data loss / ransomware. If you ran across a used laptop with Windows 7 on it, I wouldn't be afraid of using it. But if you are buying a new laptop, it will be difficult to install Windows 7 due to lack of drivers.

I reluctantly recommend Windows 10 Pro for a new laptop. I have one laptop I use with Windows 7 + XP (dual boot), and one new one running Windows 10 Pro 1903 (the newest version). EFILive and HPTuners now fully support Windows 10, and theoretically GM's eSI stuff does too, though I still use my Windows 7 laptop for GM passthrough.

For Windows 10, I recommend setting all the privacy options to the most private settings, set telemetry to basic, and set upgrade deferrals to the maximum it allows. Delaying the updates is a big deal for a tuning laptop, since you need it to work at all times. Let some other chumps install the new updates first and find the bugs.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
Installed efilive on my wife’s windows 8 laptop and it works now. Apparently the latest version does not support xp. So guess I have to go buy a new laptop. Kind of want a touchscreen anyways.

Any advice on which operating system I should get?

You could upgrade/Fresh install of Win 10 on your Win 8 laptop. (Cheap option)

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
I got 14 years out of XP on two different Dell’s. Tough OS to beat for reliability. Was thinking about going to 10.

If your set on using XP. Stay away from IE(Internet Explorer) as your browser. Use Firefox or Chrome.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If your set on using XP. Stay away from IE(Internet Explorer) as your browser. Use Firefox or Chrome.

When I open chrome it tells me it’s not supported for updates either. And ie won’t work at all. And my Dell dock has shit the bed also so it’s time for an upgrade. Something faster with a touchscreen.

Once my antivirus expires I never renew it or install updates. Less problems I’ve found. I had two Dell XPS laptops and one I kept the antivirus and updates on and the other I didn’t. The one I didn’t lasted until last year 10 years old when battery number 3 wouldn’t take a charge anymore. The other one lasted 3 with everything on. Do the same with my IPhone. 3 months after I update the software they start freezing and acting up so I stopped and get 4 or 5 years out of them now.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I still remember EFILIVE promising us we would never be forced to update. If we were on an older version that worked, we would be good. Now you have to update if you want any more licenses. It's not a huge problem, just irks me were forced to update.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I still remember EFILIVE promising us we would never be forced to update. If we were on an older version that worked, we would be good. Now you have to update if you want any more licenses. It's not a huge problem, just irks me were forced to update.

Agreed. I’ve never had to update to get a license before. Very annoying if something goes sideways and you don’t have time to wait.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
When I open chrome it tells me it’s not supported for updates either. And ie won’t work at all. And my Dell dock has shit the bed also so it’s time for an upgrade. Something faster with a touchscreen.

Once my antivirus expires I never renew it or install updates. Less problems I’ve found. I had two Dell XPS laptops and one I kept the antivirus and updates on and the other I didn’t. The one I didn’t lasted until last year 10 years old when battery number 3 wouldn’t take a charge anymore. The other one lasted 3 with everything on. Do the same with my IPhone. 3 months after I update the software they start freezing and acting up so I stopped and get 4 or 5 years out of them now.

If you would like to continue to use Chrome on XP you'll need to download Chrome (Ver. 49 or earlier) this is the latest or most up-to-date version of Chrome to work on XP. (I don't recommend this) Also, make sure to download the 32-bit version, unless your running the coveted 64-bit version of XP. I agree, your best bet would be to upgrade, you will not only be more "up-to-date" but hardware has advanced so much since XP that the pros defiantly outweigh the cons. I'm not a huge fan of touchscreens but to each their own.
I'm not sure about the DELL laptop issue. Sometimes you just get a lemon. However, Apple has admitted that they deliberately slow down/throttle their phones.

Last edited:

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah

I feel you man. Remember the days when you used to be able to purchase something and it worked for years without having to do much of anything? These days however thanks to the internet we now have numerous technical gadgets that seem to be released to the end-user incomplete. Then as problems arise patches or updates are released. This is how it is for routers, OLED curved televisions, cellular phones, blu-ray players, game consoles, operating systems, software, ect. They all require software & firmware updates. With technology changing so fast it's really becoming the norm.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master

The Updated Firmware and Bootblock goes hand in hand in with the versions supporting newer and newer controllers and added features.

The licensing is 100% automated now, the system cross checks the serial and auth code and will no longer produce a failed license/manual intervention from EFI-Live.

It also prevents autocal owners from adding any license without a authorization/vin slot pre-added granted by the tuner linked to the device, this was implemented for a variety of reasons as well.

:thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If you would like to continue to use Chrome on XP you'll need to download Chrome (Ver. 49 or earlier) this is the latest or most up-to-date version of Chrome to work on XP. (I don't recommend this) Also, make sure to download the 32-bit version, unless your running the coveted 64-bit version of XP. I agree, your best bet would be to upgrade, you will not only be more "up-to-date" but hardware has advanced so much since XP that the pros defiantly outweigh the cons. I'm not a huge fan of touchscreens but to each their own.
I'm not sure about the DELL laptop issue. Sometimes you just get a lemon. However, Apple has admitted that they deliberately slow down/throttle their phones.

This Dell was purchased in 2007. It was far from a lemon. The Dell dock only went about 6 months ago. I’d buy another Dell in a heartbeat.

As far as touchscreens go all our Panasonic Toughbooks at work are touchscreen and they are the cats pajama’s.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
So where does a guy get everything to make it work on XP? I don't want a new computer as my tuning computer is the only one I have, and the only thing I use it for.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
This Dell was purchased in 2007. It was far from a lemon. The Dell dock only went about 6 months ago. I’d buy another Dell in a heartbeat.

As far as touchscreens go all our Panasonic Toughbooks at work are touchscreen and they are the cats pajama’s.

I'm not bashing anyones product. All have issues. Everyone at one point or another have had an issue with ones computational device. None are exempt. :hug:

Again, I don't have anything against touchscreens either. They are just not my cup of tea. Just a personal preference deal. :thumb:

Last edited: