L5P with 100,000 miles and a stutter or slip at 1500 RPM

Chrisg0731

Mar 21, 2022
I have a stock 2019 L5P with 100,000 miles on it. I drove it about 600 miles on a road trip last December and after about 5 hours of driving highway speed, I started to notice a stutter or almost a missing as if it were misfiring type of feeling (realizing this is not possible in a diesel) and it only happens at 1500 RPM at 70-75MPH. The trans temp was about 180 +/- degrees when it began. Since the trip, I have changed both transmission filters and refilled the trans with Transynd. The truck is having this problem more and more now and I am dreading taking it to the dealership for them to rake me over the coals. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
You MAY be feeling a torque converter lock/unlock. Drive your truck in towhaul and see if the problem continues or changes. There are many reports of similar problems and no specific fix.

This MAY help.
61UFZD4mfJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lubegard 19610 Instant Shudder Fixx, 2 o

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Need to put a scanner on it and watch what the converter slip rpm's is showing. It better be "0" and holding. If the rpm fluctuates, the converter clutch is slipping.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
So approx 3 gallons of transynd, internal filter, spin on filter, and your time to do service is less than what the dealer in your area would have charged you for a diagnostic ? And I’m curious why you think a diesel can’t have a misfire feeling. L5P engines are quite good at having misfire concerns. Browse L5P injector connector issues.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So approx 3 gallons of transynd, internal filter, spin on filter, and your time to do service is less than what the dealer in your area would have charged you for a diagnostic ? And I’m curious why you think a diesel can’t have a misfire feeling. L5P engines are quite good at having misfire concerns. Browse L5P injector connector issues.
You are so right but, not every dealer has a tech as knowledgable as you.

Reactions: 08lmm72mm

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have run into a couple of L5P's with similar problems. The rpm's fluctuated from time to time. We found a bent return spring in the F trim valve train that would hang up sometimes and not let the F trim valve stroke all the way down.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I have run into a couple of L5P's with similar problems. The rpm's fluctuated from time to time. We found a bent return spring in the F trim valve train that would hang up sometimes and not let the F trim valve stroke all the way down.
That’s a good find. I’ll have to store that one in the memory banks if I come across one with that issue

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Would a bent return spring in the F trim valve cause this in a earlier 6 speed Mike like mine a 2008? I'm having a similar shudder under light throttle 20-30% and at 50-70mph lugging with the rpms 15-1700rpm and it seems to be intermittent, doesn't always happen.

If I go heavy with the throttle it doesn't make it worse and the converter is basically new very low mileage limitless 1078.

I'm going to try to lubegard 19610 and lubegard 63010 to see if that helps. I monitored with a tech 2 and when it happens the slip goes from -40rpm to 40rpm , doesn't get worse with more throttle and comes and goes, it's not constant.

Any advice what check would be appreciated.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Would a bent return spring in the F trim valve cause this in a earlier 6 speed Mike like mine a 2008? I'm having a similar shudder under light throttle 20-30% and at 50-70mph lugging with the rpms 15-1700rpm and it seems to be intermittent, doesn't always happen.

If I go heavy with the throttle it doesn't make it worse and the converter is basically new very low mileage limitless 1078.

I'm going to try to lubegard 19610 and lubegard 63010 to see if that helps. I monitored with a tech 2 and when it happens the slip goes from -40rpm to 40rpm , doesn't get worse with more throttle and comes and goes, it's not constant.

Any advice what check would be appreciated.
Need to know history and mileage. Chances are you have a worn out converter clutch.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Need to know history and mileage. Chances are you have a worn out converter clutch
Had the limitless 1078 installed about 11 months ago. Never pulled anything, never did any boosted launches and it would have less than 10,000 miles on it with a approx 600rwhp tune. When the converter locks in 4th it pulls awesome only seems to happen in 5th and 6th under light throttle in low rpms. I'll log a run

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Need to know history and mileage. Chances are you have a worn out converter clutch.
Attached a log. if you wouldnt mind looking at frame 2500-3800 the truck is in 6th gear, cruise control on and slight shudder going on. if i lay right into the throttle the shudder goes away. I would think if the converter clutch was worn it would be worse when heavy throttle was applied?Also the fact that ive been very easy on this TC with very little mileage. im hoping the lubegard instant shudder fix helps.

Attachments

• 08lmm72mmlog.zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 7

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Doubt it's the converter. Suncoast rarely has converter problems. Time to put a scanner on it.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
That tells you nothing. Bring up converter rpm slip on the screen and drive it watching the rpm after the converter clutch applies and see what the slip rpm is. It takes a lot of clutch slip to throw a converter code.
I did that. The slip rpm doesn't move at all sits around -2 or 0ish area then when it starts to shudder it'll read -40 to +40 slip rpm with the tech 2. If I give it lots of throttle and bring the rpms up accelerating it doesn't slip at all.

DiligentTrouble

Nov 19, 2023
Texas
Did you find a fix to the issue? I’m having the exact same issue. Shifts fine if I’m super soft and slow on accelerating and if I stop it it shifts but you can almost feel it. Mid to soft acceleration it total doesn’t engage in 8 or 9th gear. Feels like a defuel issue. Everyone tellls me it’s a time problem l but no real solution.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did you find a fix to the issue? I’m having the exact same issue. Shifts fine if I’m super soft and slow on accelerating and if I stop it it shifts but you can almost feel it. Mid to soft acceleration it total doesn’t engage in 8 or 9th gear. Feels like a defuel issue. Everyone tellls me it’s a time problem l but no real solution.

You can’t compare the 10 speed to the 6 speed in this thread. Apples to oranges so your issue is not the same