L5P Weakest Links

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Had a customer hit me up recently about possibly marinizing an L5P. Looking for a solid 750hp setup for use in a lightweight pleasure craft.

After considering the cost of bullet proofing a LBZ/LMM to hold 800hp for 1000hrs, I had to consider that maybe it's time to finally test waters with the latest design. Plenty of note worthy upgrades like the oiling system, that takes many of the old failures points into account. We are considering starting with a new crate motor to get all the latest options.

So question is, what does everyone feel is the weakest hard parts to consider. What's been the piston failure rate would be my first concern..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
With the engine itself I've only heard of the turbo (Borg Warner) having a higher failure rate then the Garrett ones. Also the injector pigtails are supposedly having similar issues to the LLY's and can be replaced with the LBZ for better reliability. No idea on the limits of the internals.

How do you plan on powering it? LBZ ECM?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
With the engine itself I've only heard of the turbo (Borg Warner) having a higher failure rate then the Garrett ones. Also the injector pigtails are supposedly having similar issues to tha LLY's and can be replaced with the LBZ for better reliability. No idea on the limits of the internals.

How do you plan on powering it? LBZ ECM?
Good to know on the turbos. The one thing we will likely change anyways due to power levels.

As for control, the latest aftermarket advances makes tuning easier and cheaper than going wirh the old plan best I can see.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pistons are weak.

Fish out in cali makes updates injector connectors, highly recommend but won’t matter if you are going to Bosch or something for ecm control

You can spool up large turbos FAR sooner than n the rpm range than you can earlier years due to head flow. Case in point, a s472 will spool to 15+ psi at 1500rpm and starts building boost at 1200rpm.

That will make getting on the chargers easier but changes your rpm operating range too. May need to do a custom cam to push the power band up much higher

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The three things I've seen give the most problem on the mechanical side is pistons, main bearings, and lifters.

Reactions: kidturbo

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What is it with GM and failing roller lifters?

Not good on failing mains, either.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That's certainly some new issues to consider then. I once ruined a set of LMM lifters by leaving them in a bucket out in the rain.. GM somehow topped this internally by screwing with the main galleys? Or did they change the lifters completely?

Reactions: 2004LB7

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That's certainly some new issues to consider then. I once ruined a set of LMM lifters by leaving them in a bucket out in the rain.. GM somehow topped this internally by screwing with the main galleys? Or did they change the lifters completely?

Lifters are a completely new design. They're similar to LS lifters that use a plastic tray to align the roller with the cam but still a solid roller.

The nice thing is the block still has all the features in place if you want to machine them for the old style lifters.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Was just going to say that they are similar to LS lifters, which have problems with needle bearings and galling.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I wouldn't say pistons are an easy fix since there aren't really any off the shelf options available. GM changed the wrist pin diameter and compression height on the piston meaning you can't use a 01-16 piston, and as far as I've been able to find, the only option is a custom made forged piston. We ordered a set from Ross last year, and it took them a solid 6 months to get them to us.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Got ya. The forged piston approach for marine use never got much traction. The only one I was involved with lasted mere minutes, and produced a 100% failure rate. The monotherm approach lacked any interest due to no real world need.

Is anyone exploring backwards compatibility with a rod piston combo yet?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wouldn't say pistons are an easy fix since there aren't really any off the shelf options available. GM changed the wrist pin diameter and compression height on the piston meaning you can't use a 01-16 piston, and as far as I've been able to find, the only option is a custom made forged piston. We ordered a set from Ross last year, and it took them a solid 6 months to get them to us.

How much we talkin for height and wrist pin? Something that can be machined?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Got ya. The forged piston approach for marine use never got much traction. The only one I was involved with lasted mere minutes, and produced a 100% failure rate. The monotherm approach lacked any interest due to no real world need.

Is anyone exploring backwards compatibility with a rod piston combo yet?

We talked to a few companies about building a hybrid rod that would allow an L5P block and crank to be used in conjunction with 01-16 pistons, but we didn't have any luck finding anyone interested in building them for us.
How much we talkin for height and wrist pin? Something that can be machined?
Piston compression height and block deck height were both raised by 4.3mm, and wrist pin diameter went up to 36mm from 34.5mm.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
There's a local shop here that said they were going with a delipped LB7 piston in his L5P. I didn't even think about them not fitting when he mentioned it. I have to ask him if they found someone to make them or what.

Pistons is the only issue he has had. IIRC he's gone through 3 sets now and is running 100overs and a S476.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We talked to a few companies about building a hybrid rod that would allow an L5P block and crank to be used in conjunction with 01-16 pistons, but we didn't have any luck finding anyone interested in building them for us.

Piston compression height and block deck height were both raised by 4.3mm, and wrist pin diameter went up to 36mm from 34.5mm.

Ah hell. Could probably bore the wrist pin bore out but raised piston height is an issue.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I'm surprised Wagler didn't jump on board for that.

I wonder if D&J would do it? I know they made the very limited runs for Dustin Mintern where he copied the CP hybrid setup but used D&J rods, D&J FSR pistons, total seal rings, and trend pins.