L5P INJECTOR QUESTION

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
A buddies injector went out and is being quoted $300 for the injector and $880 in labor, is it me or does that seem like a high price jut for one injector? I thought replacing all injectors would be around $1200 at least for my LML. Any thoughts?

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I agree, the labor cost seemed high to me. I just wasn't sure if there was more work involved on the L5P vs my LML. Do you know what a reasonbale price would be, and the guy was telling my buddy it needs to be programmed after the injector install. Seems sketchy to me, but what do I know.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Depending on which injector it is that labor price can be accurate. I question the parts total cause there’s more than just an injector that needs replacing like the high pressure pipes on these engines are one time use. And the fuel injector return pipe seals should be replaced as well. Injectors 1,3, and 5 are behind the egr and riser pipe. And I’d question the injector of course. I’ve only had one legitimate injector failure. 98% of the time it’s the connector to the injector. Not questioning this other person’s diagnosis as I have no idea what is wrong with truck, just my experience. And yes, injector flow rate does have to programmed in to ecm. Then there are an additional 2 steps I believe for proper setup according to service information in GM’s manuals.

Reactions: no spark

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Depending on which injector it is that labor price can be accurate. I question the parts total cause there’s more than just an injector that needs replacing like the high pressure pipes on these engines are one time use. And the fuel injector return pipe seals should be replaced as well. Injectors 1,3, and 5 are behind the egr and riser pipe. And I’d question the injector of course. I’ve only had one legitimate injector failure. 98% of the time it’s the connector to the injector. Not questioning this other person’s diagnosis as I have no idea what is wrong with truck, just my experience. And yes, injector flow rate does have to programmed in to ecm. Then there are an additional 2 steps I believe for proper setup according to service information in GM’s manuals.
High pressure pipes are supposed to be replaced but its not a huge deal if you dont. Ive only seen 1 fail that was reused, but at the same time its off and you may as well replace it. I typically replace after theyve been used 4-5 times. 1-3-5 are all pretty simple to get to once the heat shields are off the EGR and the injector heat shield is removed. The return line seals really dont need to be replaced either unless theyre damaged but im sure they only cost a few dollars as well. Labor seems high to me as all the injectors can be pulled in about 20 mins (for me) as long as none of them are stuck. But my working conditions are different than most.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Thanks for the replies I was just curious. Much appreciated. My buddy paid $800 total at another shop, which seems pretty good.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Thanks for the heads up ill mention that to my buddy. Im not sure exactly what they fixed on his truck, regarding the injector or harness but his truck runs normal again. it had a lope sound to it

coppolac

Retired, trying to have fun.
Apr 27, 2022
Millbury, Ma
I was told by a Service Advisor the book time for 1 injector on one bank is 8.5 hours. I just had #6 and #7 changed, the tech took over 20 hrs I think.. Ended up not being the solution to the problem, now waiting for a ECM.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I was told by a Service Advisor the book time for 1 injector on one bank is 8.5 hours. I just had #6 and #7 changed, the tech took over 20 hrs I think.. Ended up not being the solution to the problem, now waiting for a ECM.
that sounds like the LB7 rate and not L5P

Reactions: wydopenLb7