L5P Drop In Turbos

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
Anybody have any experience with Danville, Dan's Diesel, or Ryan's Diesel drop in L5P turbos? I was going to get a Danville drop in but then was told that current drop in turbos are having oil usage problems.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Customer of mine here in WI has a Dan's on his 2018. It seems to run great and thus far hasn't had any issues but he also only has had it for a few thousand miles. I've seen good reviews on both the Danville and Ryan's but no first hand experience with them.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if i swap mine, i wont even run a VGT unless they are REALLY un-choked like the stock charger is. there is so much flow through these stock heads and cam you can spin up a box stock s472 to 20 psi under the spool test conditions here like you are on a stock charger at 1500rpm. i wouldnt have believed it if i didnt see it with my own eyes. Even towed 15k on the back of the truck with that single and you would have never known.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
if i swap mine, i wont even run a VGT unless they are REALLY un-choked like the stock charger is. there is so much flow through these stock heads and cam you can spin up a box stock s472 to 20 psi under the spool test conditions here like you are on a stock charger at 1500rpm. i wouldnt have believed it if i didnt see it with my own eyes. Even towed 15k on the back of the truck with that single and you would have never known.

Damn, I didn't know they were THAT good.....................

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
it will blow your mind. if you wanted to make the L5P make all the torque it could, i would bet it would surpass a cummins with making peak torque lower than the cummins with the same setups. it would be close but i could see it. If i still had the video, id post it.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
What were the turbine specs? I've thought about doing a s400 but didn't really want to lose the exhaust brake. Although could also do what the Cummins guys do when they 2nd gen swap and go with a valve in the exhaust if I still really wanted one.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
S472 on a l5p made it in to the 4 digit club. Obviously on a Dyno, no time or trap speed to back it up but it's up there for sure.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
And there's tuning available for the L5P that allows adjustments to optimize for aftermarket turbos and injectors? o_O

oh yeah, thats been out for some time now. Kory was stating in another thread they are actually easier to tune than the LML as well

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
there has been transmissions for the 17-19 trucks as they are not far off from the older models, 2020 is the only issue.

Reactions: Dozerboy

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
oh yeah, thats been out for some time now. Kory was stating in another thread they are actually easier to tune than the LML as well
So there's tuning available (EFI Live? HP Tuners? canned/locked only?) just no coding to take off emissions components and related codes?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
HP tuners or ez link (I think?) Are the only one right now. I’ve heard rumor efi live will have the platform ready soon. You still have to get an unlocked ecm before you can tune and GM can see every flash you do to the ecm. Doesn’t mean their ain’t easy ways around that but still.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
there has been transmissions for the 17-19 trucks as they are not far off from the older models, 2020 is the only issue.

Revmax apperently has a transmission out that is considered it's stage 1 for the 10 speed guys. In testing now.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So there's tuning available (EFI Live? HP Tuners? canned/locked only?) just no coding to take off emissions components and related codes?

As James mentioned, yes HPT does But it Cost dearly... You have to Pay them to Unlock an ECM and TCM. At first, people were sending in Brand New ECM's from the dealer in and getting crusty mud caked ones in return.

EZLynk doesnt currently show support Yet, but Kory at PPEI Does offer tuning with HPT software. I don't know how the canned controller/tuners on the market work like Banks, Edge, Stealth.

As for EFI Live it is being worked on.

From another thread it looks like this company ( controllerdiagnostics.com ) does the unlocking at reasonable price compared to HPT. I am Guessing this might be the go to when EFI Live Maps everything out.

And No Coding is available for emissions defeat in the standard software for emissions stuff to keep it Legal. You would have to go black market and obtain that information. Either a Deleted Base file or Develop the user defined files your self if your so capable of doing it.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
This little note from the CDS guys is kindof joke, I think I would pay the HP guys to unlock the ecm instead.

In an effort to push the market toward developing CAA compliant products and tuning, CDS has implemented the following strategy:

This ECM modification service will not allow modified diagnostic segments to be flashed, which prevents all OBD readiness tests, OBD Monitoring, and Emissions Controls from being modified. Attempts to flash files with modified diagnostic segments will fail the reflash and remain in boot mode until a valid file is flashed in.