Killed a GT500 from a 40 roll

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
Buddy from work just bought an 08 GT500. It's mostly stock with small pulley and exhaust. He knew my truck was fast so he wasn't talking trash and would not race me from a dig. So out of curiosity I agree to go from a 40 roll. I wasn't very confident in winning from a roll but I was pleasantly surprised how well my truck did. After getting lined up and getting my boost set by brake boosting we took off at around 40 and for some reason my truck immediately up shifted killing my boost then realized I wanted to go fast and down shifted again blowing the rear tires off. So I'm fishing tailing at 50+ mph watching the GT500 walk away thinking there is no way I will win now! Fortunatley, I finally found some traction and was able to real him in and pass him at around 100-110. I continued to pull away until I ran out of RPM and gears. I had no idea how fast we were doing since my speedo had been pegged for a while. Driver of the GT500 said we were doing close to 140 at the end. I know not very smart in a 6600 lb truck. Here is a short vid. I apologize for quality and the guy videoing forgot to press play at the beginning so the vid starts when I'm passing them at 100+.
http://youtu.be/iC3wiRY0Qwo
Needless to say once word got around at work, the GT500 driver has been harassed non stop. Now he is mad and claims he has plans to add some parts and he will destroy me next time. Lol

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Sweet. I used to love lighting up "sports" cars in my lmm, just the look on their face when a 7,000 lb truck with mud tires passes them makes it all worth it...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice! its hard to beat sports cars from a roll and to run them down like that means hes gunna need a significant jump in power to reverse the situation

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
Nice! its hard to beat sports cars from a roll and to run them down like that means hes gunna need a significant jump in power to reverse the situation
I agree. I thought for sure he would get me on the big end. In his defense, I talked to another very knowledgeable friend who also owns a GT500 (10s in the 1/4) and he said since air temp was 100+ the car automatically pulls timing and therefore power. Makes sense, so he might be a lot faster in cooler weather. We shall see. Next time I'm going to race from a 30 roll in 4wd.
Thats awesome! Shame it was filmed on a potato. LOL
I hope to have my GoPro next time. We joke that it was filmed on the ipotatoe 6. Lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree. I thought for sure he would get me on the big end. In his defense, I talked to another very knowledgeable friend who also owns a GT500 (10s in the 1/4) and he said since air temp was 100+ the car automatically pulls timing and therefore power. Makes sense, so he might be a lot faster in cooler weather. We shall see. Next time I'm going to race from a 30 roll in 4wd.

I hope to have my GoPro next time. We joke that it was filmed on the ipotatoe 6. Lol

thats a big problem out here in AZ. lots of boosted cars have that issue from about april til october. they generally have to be on E85 or wait till the car has cooled way down before making a run. diesels arent as susceptible to heat but do loose some power cause the air charge is hotter. i notice a decent power gain from summer time to winter time and smoke is non existent. i have a slight haze during the summer on the tow tune

Jakemax04

Jun 28, 2013
thats a big problem out here in AZ. lots of boosted cars have that issue from about april til october. they generally have to be on E85 or wait till the car has cooled way down before making a run. diesels arent as susceptible to heat but do loose some power cause the air charge is hotter. i notice a decent power gain from summer time to winter time and smoke is non existent. i have a slight haze during the summer on the tow tune

Just another reason to own a diesel. You can't even depend on a purpose built car to run up to par when it gets a little hot outside, PSH!