LB7: Intake heater?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Oh wow. I can’t believe no one has noticed this before. You might have just single handily discovered the key to taking Duramax performance to the next level my friend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Oh by the way, did you bother searching this topic at all? Via this forum, or google?

I just realized that maybe someone has brought this up before now. Maybe, just maybe it’s been discussed, maybe even at great lengths.

I mean considering the oldest LB7 is now approaching 20 years old, you would have thought someone would have mentioned this by now.

Either way I’m glad you started a new topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Still haven't seen a Dyno of before and after of intake heater removal, so not sure if it's worth removal especially if living in a cold state, if somebody does have dyno sheets would be nice to see it...
i've been tossing up the idea myself especially since I'm getting ready to move back to Colorado don't like the thought of any restriction but also don't want my truck to smoke like a Mack in the winter upon start up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I didn't notice a change in smoke. Someone posted some dyno numbers from basic mods. I believe number from up graded hot and cold pipes where there. While it might not just be the grid heater it should give you an idea. I only did it because I deleted the EGR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
As much as it looks like a restriction, I bet it is only 5-10 HP on a 450 HP tune. I never take them off until I go to an aftermarket Y-bridge. But I've never seen a dyno sheet either, just going off the 'ol Butt Dyno 9000.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The lb7 intake heater shouldn't be confused with the lbz's. The ecm can only command it on for 3 minutes after engine startup iirc. It's only there to help with wet stacking on a cold startup(0F and colder). The lbz's can come on and stay on for much longer periods of time, and is much larger. The lb7's intake heater is only about 550 watts(45 amps at 12 volts is what I measured with my clamp on meter) whereas the lbz's could go well over 1000 watts iirc. And to mix things up, the lly doesn't have one at all. As to increases, I saw a 3 lb boost increase into the y bridge removing mine. I was at 22 lbs of boost with it in and went to 25 after I deleted it in the y bridge. Didn't really notice any other changes.

d_drcustoms

Jan 21, 2018
Does it cause much restriction? By looking down in there after removing the intercooler pipe, it looks like a restriction.

Ok I worked for chevorlet as a mastertech for over 18 years. The air intake heater is a pretty restrictive part very easily removed and delete from 01 to date. This heater really only helps in extremely extremely cold running or on cold starts. Not many gains to be felt but smooth airflow is always better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk