Injector or electrical??

Mondo0928

May 17, 2016
Evening everyone,
I hope this is where I post this. I hope some one here can help me this is my daily truck. I drive an 05 Silverado Duramax, LLY, with 245,000 miles! I have my mods on there such as FASS lift pump, EFI Live 5 Tunes, EGR delete w/ blocker plate, 6” pro como, 35s, straight pipe, and air intake. I really need help everyone I asked people on Facebook forums and many more. These are my injector balance rates starting out:

64ef6b0a605f9830187951874b713076.jpg

Now I never bypassed my stock Fuel primer housing (was told by a mechanic that can probably help with balance rates. When I bypassed it these were the rates I had which I thought was the solution:

1e8b7b57e9b2441b5c618c9f51fc3b34.jpg

Now when I went to ask on help with Facebook group they said to clean with Hot Shots Diesel Extreme, someone even said Automatic Transmission fluid. Well being a little sketchy on the Transmission fluid, I went ahead and tried out Hot Shots Extreme and put it in my fuel tank on Thursday July 25th. These are the results as of today:

c6ba62264ff16803e6b603a1a9502bb2.jpg

I don’t know if it can be electrical or just need to save and buy all brand new injectors. Someone please help or where to start to look for an electrical issue, good cleaning solution for injectors, or even to where to start looking.
Thank y’all in advance please help me!

Don@F1

Jul 17, 2019
Have you owned the truck since new? How often do the filters get changed? Where do you live? Does it start easily?

Certain areas of the country have higher fuel quality than others.

The LLYs are very reliable injectors. They operate at a lower pressure than the LBZ and LMM since they are only a CRIN2 version. But 250k is a lot of miles and my bet is injectors being at least part of the issue.

Mondo0928

May 17, 2016
Have you owned the truck since new? How often do the filters get changed? Where do you live? Does it start easily?

Certain areas of the country have higher fuel quality than others.

The LLYs are very reliable injectors. They operate at a lower pressure than the LBZ and LMM since they are only a CRIN2 version. But 250k is a lot of miles and my bet is injectors being at least part of the issue.

Thank you on your response. I bought the truck used 4 years ago, I change them whenever the dash let’s me know the life on them, I live in Houston Tx., she starts easily no problem. I was doing some research and people were saying they did the “ice pick test”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don@F1

Jul 17, 2019
Harris county has good fuel quality off the rack at the refiner. Minimum 49 cetane by law. So, at least it starts out good. What condition the local fuel stations tanks are in is anyones guess though.

My bet is still injectors, but my record on my yearly trip to Vegas says not to gamble for a living:rofl:. The cleaners can remove enough gum and varnish to allow more fuel to slip between the internal parts, raising their leakage rates. This could be why the balance rates are worse after its use.

Mondo0928

May 17, 2016
Harris county has good fuel quality off the rack at the refiner. Minimum 49 cetane by law. So, at least it starts out good. What condition the local fuel stations tanks are in is anyones guess though.

My bet is still injectors, but my record on my yearly trip to Vegas says not to gamble for a living:rofl:. The cleaners can remove enough gum and varnish to allow more fuel to slip between the internal parts, raising their leakage rates. This could be why the balance rates are worse after its use.

So best bet is to just save and replace for injectors? I’ll probably keep digging in it but idk where to start.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Did I miss where you said if the truck was smoking or making oil? Or are the balance rates just looking out of what and it’s still running fine?

Mondo0928

May 17, 2016
Did I miss where you said if the truck was smoking or making oil? Or are the balance rates just looking out of what and it’s still running fine?

No it runs fine just the rates are really off. The only thing is a small amount of smoke when I open your oil cap, which I don’t know if that means anything.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
LLYs and newer don't make oil like the LB7s did when injectors go bad.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What is the main injection rate? Balance rates are half the info. Facebook know it alls don’t seem to understand this. That info would have been valuable over the last three pics/differences you posted.

Mondo0928

May 17, 2016
What is the main injection rate? Balance rates are half the info. Facebook know it alls don’t seem to understand this. That info would have been valuable over the last three pics/differences you posted.

They were about here if that’s what your asking(this photo was a couple of weeks after the second photo, which is weird because a couple weeks they became good rates.):

9c110b8c8f4e34bb83c51c81fa855c7f.jpg

2294b5ba45e7bfe48fe6bc152de18607.jpg

Don@F1

Jul 17, 2019
The fuel rate is not the same as balance rates.
Its usually around a 9 on the LLY. But can be more or less.

You will need a scanner to get the fuel rate. Which is also an average number. Yeah, I know:eek:

Assuming (usually a bad idea) that the fuel rate is a 9, just add the balance rates to that number.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
He should be able to read the combined fuel rate on his monitor if that’s what you’re wanting?