In need of custom bolt

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Anyone on here that works at a machine shop have the ability to make a custom bolt? I'm looking for (2) 3/4-24 x 2.75" grade 8 hex head bolt with no shoulder (has to be threaded up to the head). I cannot find such a thread pitch for a 3/4 bolt anywhere, but taps and dies are all over the internet for 3/4-24. Local machine shops won't bother calling me back for 2 custom bolts, I guess it's not worth their time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
maybe try allens fasteners? they dont show them on their website but might know of where to get them or even order them in?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
McMaster is my local go-to but they don’t even have that pitch.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Get a bolt with a long enough unthreaded shoulder. Cut the threaded part off, and then run the die down the bolt.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Get a bolt with a long enough unthreaded shoulder. Cut the threaded part off, and then run the die down the bolt.
I might give this a try, never thought about that and it'll be fairly inexpensive.
McMaster is my local go-to but they don’t even have that pitch.
Called them with no luck as well, we buy tons of random stuff at work from them but this stumped em.
maybe try allens fasteners? they dont show them on their website but might know of where to get them or even order them in?
I'll check them out just to see if such a bolt exists somewhere without being custom made but so far it's not available.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
What’s it for?

I’m assuming it’s not possible to retap the hole to a common thread pitch?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How much torque do they need to see? Grade 8 bolts are roll formed threads which is much stronger than cutting them via a die. If it’s not a super integral part, I’d just cut them with a die.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I know Fastenal has a ton more fasteners then what there site shows. You will have to visit one of their store to see what they can get though. And if you find one longer you of course can cut it down but as James mentioned, the threads are rolled/formed not cut, and being you are requesting the grade 8 strength I would not cut them.

Also, it may be a good idea to explain to us what this is used for and maybe we can help you come up with better alternatives as that bolt size thread tpi is not a standard combination. The dies you are finding are not likely for bolts for any form of clamping fasteners but is more common in something like rifle barrel threads

Last edited: