Help: Importing a motor to USA

isuzulb7

Nov 19, 2010
uxbridge,ontario canada
So i am trynig to figure out what i need to do to get a duramax motor across the border. I will be driving from canada into the USA at the detroit MI border. I called USA customs / border services and they were not very helpfull at all they did not tell me anything. Pretty much all i want to do is drive across the border with the motor in the back of the truck, has anyone done this ? or know whats involed . This is starting to become a real headache i cant find any info on what is needed .

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
So i am trynig to figure out what i need to do to get a duramax motor across the border. I will be driving from canada into the USA at the detroit MI border. I called USA customs / border services and they were not very helpfull at all they did not tell me anything. Pretty much all i want to do is drive across the border with the motor in the back of the truck, has anyone done this ? or know whats involed . This is starting to become a real headache i cant find any info on what is needed .

are you taking it there for work on it or selling it?

I am Windsor so I know all the fun.

I will say your best bet is to call Dell Will http://www.dellwill.com/ that is who I use.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
If your trading motors, it won't be a problem just tell them what your doing. Get Tony to make up a bill for the switch at zero dollars. Make sure my rims are chromed before you do the swap though. We were just at Tony's today.

isuzulb7

Nov 19, 2010
uxbridge,ontario canada
If your trading motors, it won't be a problem just tell them what your doing. Get Tony to make up a bill for the switch at zero dollars. Make sure my rims are chromed before you do the swap though. We were just at Tony's today.

have you brought a motor into the states before? im just trying to get this all figured out so i dont get the shaft at the border . I want everything to run smoothly. were heading up on the 17 so if you need anything im sure we could grab it for ya and save you the trip.

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
If it has a value over 2K your gona need to broker it. For tax they will want to know the country of manufacture. They will also want detailed info on who your trading with, and be prepared for them to call the other party to verify the transaction. I showed up at the boarder with a motor i sold to a guy in Maine, I was there for 4hrs trying to sort it out.....PITA