Imploded air filter

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I went camping (off-road, dusty) last weekend, and noticed that on the way back, the truck was smoking at WOT and EGTs were toasty on hills (1400°F). At the time, I attributed it to the altitude (7000') and a heavy right foot. But... no:
DSC_0735_web.jpg
That filter is 3 months old, has 2,300 miles on it. Despite the appearance in the photo, the dust cover is not and was not wet (this is Idaho in the summer, what is rain? :spit:). Just loaded up with dirt from off-road camping.

To its credit, the filter did its job, there wasn't a spec of dust inside the intake tube, and the media was clean on the inside. But, I really don't want to have to clean the filter every 1000 miles, but that seems to be where I would have needed to clean it to keep it from imploding and being destroyed. That's one weekend per filter cleaning! :mad:

What are you guys doing to keep the filter alive on your trucks? Any brands or setups that last well? I am willing to change up my air intake setup if necessary, but something that "bolts on" would be ideal.

Attachments

• DSC_0735_web.jpg
    DSC_0735_web.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0734_web.jpg
    DSC_0734_web.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 92

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What kind of prefilter is that? Maybe try a foam one.

I switched to an AFE dryflow, just wash / dry and throw it back on, no oil. My truck is a pavement pounder so I can't comment on the dust. I'm sure a larger element would help you also.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
dude that thing is PACKED! what kind of roads are you running whos ass are you tailing? :D

whats the dimentions on that filter?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
What kind of prefilter is that? Maybe try a foam one.
The pre-filter is an aFe 28-10233. "Made from a dry weave fabric, ... its free flowing design keeps your filter free from large debris and does not restrict air flow." uh huh, sure....

I like the idea of a dry filter. If I get two of those, I could swap them every weekend with a lot less hassle, but that is still a giant pain. I might try a foam pre-filter first, since that is a cheap experiment, and if I crush my 2nd filter, then I will have all the more reason to change things up.

Does anyone make a performance air box capable of 660+ WHP that takes paper elements? I really like the idea of being able to just toss a new one in without the hassle of washing.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
dude that thing is PACKED! what kind of roads are you running whos ass are you tailing? :D

whats the dimentions on that filter?
It is an aFe 24-91039: "5 F x 6-1/2 B x 5-1/2 T (Inv) x 9 H in (IM)"

I was running around the Hazard Lake area (north of McCall). Super dusty gravel roads that were fairly smooth. No comment on the speeds I was running :woott:

I drove a couple miles behind my parents' truck/trailer before they got the hint and let me by. Other than that, I didn't eat anyone's dust.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Maybe you could getaway with just taking off the dust cover and shaking it off when driving in these conditions. My guess is the filter WAS fine its the pre filter that got loaded up and crushed the filter.

Im sure James will have some good device for you. In my industry the whole intake in engineered around keeping it out of the dust. With massive filter that can get blown out via air compressors. Nothing practical about putting such a thing on your truck. Might be a good excuse for some on-board air to blow out the pre filter. Could just bring an airtank with you, but thats not as fun.

Edit I see he is here already...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Maybe you could getaway with just taking off the dust cover and shaking it off when driving in these conditions. My guess is the filter WAS fine its the pre filter that got loaded up and crushed the filter.

Im sure James will have some good device for you. In my industry the whole intake in engineered around keeping it out of the dust. With massive filter that can get blown out via air compressors. Nothing practical about putting such a thing on your truck. Might be a good excuse for some on-board air to blow out the pre filter. Could just bring an airtank with you, but thats not as fun.

Edit I see he is here already...
Funny you mention that, I actually already have on-board air. I will try blowing the filter off regularly while camping next time, and see if that helps. Though the filter on my air compressor looks really bad too-- it is mounted under the truck to catch the maximum amount of dust lol

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
how about putting a filter minder in the cab or somewhere you can see it easy so you know when it is time to clean the filter?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
how about putting a filter minder in the cab or somewhere you can see it easy so you know when it is time to clean the filter?
I definitely needed to clean it, my main complaint is that plugged bad enough to crush after only 2300 miles. I normally check the filter every oil change, but it didn't survive long enough to get checked. Dirt roads or no, this seems ridiculous.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It is an aFe 24-91039: "5 F x 6-1/2 B x 5-1/2 T (Inv) x 9 H in (IM)"

I was running around the Hazard Lake area (north of McCall). Super dusty gravel roads that were fairly smooth. No comment on the speeds I was running :woott:

I drove a couple miles behind my parents' truck/trailer before they got the hint and let me by. Other than that, I didn't eat anyone's dust.

i feel like that riding behind your parents did you in.

i have the same filter on my truck with the 7 layer element and have about 3k on it with some off road time. its no where near that dirty.

that said, id either look at building an air box to keep a bulk of the crap floating about the engine bay out of the filter and direct air from behind the head lights OR start looking at some UMP air box setups to install. they are not small but its what all the off road teams run on their trucks/cars in the desert. or you can even look at a CAT air filter setup. they use a dual stage filter (2 filters) and work AWESOME at keeping dirt out while still getting the air flow you need. We used the UMP stuff when we were desert racing and they worked well while not plugging up the filter.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I definitely needed to clean it, my main complaint is that plugged bad enough to crush after only 2300 miles. I normally check the filter every oil change, but it didn't survive long enough to get checked. Dirt roads or no, this seems ridiculous.

its really not considering what and how the filter is placed in the truck. you give it no chance to fight any dirt off before sucking into the filter. running dirt roads loads the engine compartment with dust under the hood and it just circulates over and over in there. combine that with a turbo that can suck start a lawnmower and heavy foot, its going to happen. go run a silt bed and you will be plugged up faster than you could ever thing lol

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
i feel like that riding behind your parents did you in.

i have the same filter on my truck with the 7 layer element and have about 3k on it with some off road time. its no where near that dirty.

that said, id either look at building an air box to keep a bulk of the crap floating about the engine bay out of the filter and direct air from behind the head lights OR start looking at some UMP air box setups to install. they are not small but its what all the off road teams run on their trucks/cars in the desert. or you can even look at a CAT air filter setup. they use a dual stage filter (2 filters) and work AWESOME at keeping dirt out while still getting the air flow you need. We used the UMP stuff when we were desert racing and they worked well while not plugging up the filter.
Those UMP filters look interesting. That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

Yeah, I suppose I'm asking too much of that filter in that location. I'll look into one of the UMP boxes or making my own. I need to do something anyway to address my intake air temps. In stop and go traffic, my intake air temps go through the roof.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Still running your fender liners? Thats one of the reason the factory filter pulls through the fender/headlight area holes, keep engine bay dust and hot temps out of the air box/filter. I have a top kick filter and air box I want to try and rig up... Not much room though with my current twin configuration...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Still running your fender liners? Thats one of the reason the factory filter pulls through the fender/headlight area holes, keep engine bay dust and hot temps out of the air box/filter. I have a top kick filter and air box I want to try and rig up... Not much room though with my current twin configuration...
Yeah, I run the fender liners. It does get some seriously hot air at times. I've maxed out the intake air temp sensor more than once :eek:

It looks like an airbox is in my future. I'll have to see if I want to try and find one that will fit and handle the flow I need (look into the UMP setup when I'm off work), or if I just make my own.