Ike towing test - Gm does it again

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I actually was surprised... by how poorly Ford did! They have some work to do on their calibration at high altitude, it seems.

Almost makes me wonder if the Ford was in regen or something? It used the most fuel and went up the hill the slowest. By the numbers, it should have been a dead heat with GM (5 HP is a rounding error), yet Ford got destroyed by everyone. Oh well, them's the breaks in the real world.

I will have to check out a L5P in person, but from the video, I actually liked the looks of the L5P interior less than the Ram. Though the Ram suspension would beat you to death in the prettier interior, I suppose.

Eh, ignore me, I'm the grumpy guy who thinks the 2003-2007 Classic GMT-800 interior was the pinnacle of design :hello:

strega440

Jul 25, 2014
CA
Ah those poor Ford and Dodge guys will be pretty pissed off to get passed on a hill by a truck that cost at least 10k less with a pretty bad ass looking hood scoop on it......:roflmao:

"That's a whole lot of chicken dinners"

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I watched that last night. I was expecting the Ford to win by a small margin.

Also, remember the Ram and Ford are "rated" to tow ~30k lbs yet where pulling the same ~23k lb load as the chevy and still lost. That either says that Ram and Ford are not truly safe, rated or capable of handling more then the Chevy or that there is a lot more left in the Chevy to grow if they felt they wanted to play that game

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Until the GVW matches front and rear axle ratings of the truck. And until there's posted data for rear axle gcvw for a stated grade %
It's all marketing sceams

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I actually was surprised... by how poorly Ford did! They have some work to do on their calibration at high altitude, it seems.

Almost makes me wonder if the Ford was in regen or something? It used the most fuel and went up the hill the slowest. By the numbers, it should have been a dead heat with GM (5 HP is a rounding error), yet Ford got destroyed by everyone. Oh well, them's the breaks in the real world.

I wished they data logged each truck and compared sensor data, it would be interesting to know what's going on with temperatures, limiters, dpf status, etc., etc., while climbing - however, this would probably be worthless data to the average truck buyer/owner without giving an in-depth explanation on what they effect.

Although, I think does appear GM does better at fine tuning for different altitudes; but, GM also has some quirky shit going on at times in their tuning (rattling etc).

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I watched that last night. I was expecting the Ford to win by a small margin.

Also, remember the Ram and Ford are "rated" to tow ~30k lbs yet where pulling the same ~23k lb load as the chevy and still lost. That either says that Ram and Ford are not truly safe, rated or capable of handling more then the Chevy or that there is a lot more left in the Chevy to grow if they felt they wanted to play that game
GM said the frame and brakes on the 17 are essentially the same as 11-16, so they were not going to increase the tow ratings. So they have the power to do it, but the rest of the truck isn't up to the engines ability. Dodge and Ford both improved the rest of the trucks to handle the extra weight. Keep in mind, it wasn't that long ago a semi rated to tow 80,000 pounds would only do 10-20 mph up grades like these. So it's not about having the power to run 70 up these grades that gives them the higher tow ratings, it's about having the frame and brakes to handle the weight when the poop hits the fan that matters.

And FORD has always lagged behind in the mountain tests, but done well at sea level and level ground.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I can't stand these tfl guys. Don't really know what they are talking about though the footage is cool.

We need an old school top gear show that does hilarious reviews with real number crunching and real world testing.

Glad the general was the winner though. I'm driving around a rental 16 f250 gas and I can't wait to get my ass back in my big red, this hoopdie is lack luster for sure.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
that doesnt matter when they post HP and torque numbers. the truck is not adjusting power by its self based on load ;)

I think he is suggesting that the ford and dodge have higher HP potential but were tuned back to keep them together with 30k behind them. The dmax can be cranked up a bit since it 23k will put less strain on the motor.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think he is suggesting that the ford and dodge have higher HP potential but were tuned back to keep them together with 30k behind them. The dmax can be cranked up a bit since it 23k will put less strain on the motor.

i see. Ferm gave a pretty good reason why GM didnt increase the load rating though and it may also be the fact the allison still only has 4 clutches for the c3's.