IFS vs. Solid Front Axle

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I've read both sides of the story IFS is weak but has better CG, and SFA is stronger but due to it's design it can only get so low to the ground and handle well.

Pat on that CompD thread about safety you did touch on the SFA and it being for racing a weaker design when comparing to the IFS. What is you full opinion on the subject?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Have you ridden in a SFA truck at higher speeds? Above 70 mph they start to feel unstable. I drove my truck at 120 the other day for a little while and even around gentle curves and stuff it felt very stable and really didn't feel like I was going that fast. Also in a IFS system the suspension/steering and driveline for the front are 2 seperate systems where as on a SFA truck it is all in the axle so one type of failure can lead to others ie blowing apart a axle shaft with enough force could cause the axle tube to fail and the front end to calapse. This is just a random example but you get it. If you are lifting a truck and going offroading go to SFA if you are street driving and/or racing get an IFS truck - they are more comfortable, handle much better, and are safer at the track IMO.

One thing I don't get is why front axle is coming up in these safety discussions when the truck that crashed was a 2wd 1500 with 15-16" rims and bias plies on the rear, and low profile radials on 20s on the front which is a dumb to begin with.