LML Idle vane control

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't know how many of you here mess around with tuning on these things, but I can't think of many things more frustrating than these stupidly complicated ECMs. For some reason, they seem to have a mind of their own and require special tricks and secret combinations to make them do what you want. I have the thing working very well except for one thing. Vane control at idle does what it wants which is closed down all the way. You can barely touch the throttle (not even enough to raise the RPM) and the vanes will open. If you put the truck in reverse, the vanes will open, but when you shift it to drive, they close back up. When you are rolling on flat ground, they will open once the input and turbine speeds are almost 1:1. I can't seem to unlock the secret of what it is looking for. I searched on the EFILive forum (on their website) and found a couple of threads but no real answers. I'm hoping someone here might have cracked the code on this already and can shed some light on the subject for me. If it makes any difference, the truck is a 2012 running the 12649244 OS.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't have any tunes open in front of me but I thought the normal course of action is to use the minimum and maximum vane tables to deal with this.

I think the real table that we need to correct this without the above workaround is missing in efi live. I believe it is some code used to prevent the vanes from sticking or provides a little more back pressure for the EGR or something like that

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure how you could use the max/min vane position to make it keep the vanes open without killing response and the exhaust brake.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You make the adjustments only in the idle RPM areas to hold the vanes where you want them

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I don't typically run VNT turbos, but when I do. Wait, I've actually never owned one... :spit:

Yes I'm no help. But I can say there is some missing tables related to boost and fueling control that Mark and I have noted. Guessing what your looking for is in one of those missing tables. If we could convince someone to take a second look for these missing pieces, I would be willing to contribute some $$ since it's my preferred ECM.

Today I'm gonna be redoing some map scaling on the bench setup. If you'd like, I can load up your tune and feed it some RPM and throttle data to see if can fudge it on the bench and tell anything.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I don't know how many of you here mess around with tuning on these things, but I can't think of many things more frustrating than these stupidly complicated ECMs. For some reason, they seem to have a mind of their own and require special tricks and secret combinations to make them do what you want. I have the thing working very well except for one thing. Vane control at idle does what it wants which is closed down all the way. You can barely touch the throttle (not even enough to raise the RPM) and the vanes will open. If you put the truck in reverse, the vanes will open, but when you shift it to drive, they close back up. When you are rolling on flat ground, they will open once the input and turbine speeds are almost 1:1. I can't seem to unlock the secret of what it is looking for. I searched on the EFILive forum (on their website) and found a couple of threads but no real answers. I'm hoping someone here might have cracked the code on this already and can shed some light on the subject for me. If it makes any difference, the truck is a 2012 running the 12649244 OS.

EFI LIVE IS MISSING TABLES.

There are between 4 and 11 elevation and mode min/max VGT tables missing

There is a dedicated "idle" vane min/max table missing.

The "add on" and multiplier tables for temp are missing.

The individual single value min/max tables are missing, IIRC in some OS's they added the "0" and "100" value tables.

I have them all mapped out in all OS's.

This is not a slight on EFI-Live, its just like all of the mapping, there is lots and lots that is missing that some or most would not need in most instances.

But they are there, and it is controllable.

:cool:

Attachments

• LML VANE TABLES.jpg
    LML VANE TABLES.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 76

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
EFI LIVE IS MISSING TABLES.

There are between 4 and 11 elevation and mode min/max VGT tables missing

There is a dedicated "idle" vane min/max table missing.

The "add on" and multiplier tables for temp are missing.

The individual single value min/max tables are missing, IIRC in some OS's they added the "0" and "100" value tables.

I have them all mapped out in all OS's.

This is not a slight on EFI-Live, its just like all of the mapping, there is lots and lots that is missing that some or most would not need in most instances.

But they are there, and it is controllable.

:cool:
Yeah, I’ve seen your posts on the EFI forum. Any way a fella like me that has no idea where to even begin digging through the hex stuff could get those tables?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Yeah, I’ve seen your posts on the EFI forum. Any way a fella like me that has no idea where to even begin digging through the hex stuff could get those tables?

If you email me the stock file you are using on that truck and tell me what VANE % you want I will make the changes for the OS for you on the backend.

;)

PM me and I will tell you where to send it for the adjustments.

Bigred2011

Sep 14, 2022
Hey bud message me if you could. I'm having the exact issue. If you can point me in the right direction or help me out that would be amazing.