LLY: I need an LLY refresher course

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I’ve owned an LBZ and currently an LB7, but I’m considering getting an LLY now as well.

I am hoping for a quick refresher.

The 05 LLYs with the tall hoods have the y-bridge and intake updated, whereas the 04.5’s were more prone to over heating- correct?

Were the 04.5s the only year subject to injector harness issues, necessitating the ice pick fix, or are all LLY except 06 code 2 susceptible?

Anything else I’m forgetting or missing when considering and inspecting trucks? Other than the obvious, checking blow by, balance rates with my tech 2, looking for pump rub, leaks etc.

I’ll be looking around 100k-150k miles, looking for something very clean and ideally bone stock to use as old reliable for the next couple years while I mess around with my LB7.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
I’ve owned an LBZ and currently an LB7, but I’m considering getting an LLY now as well.

I am hoping for a quick refresher.

The 05 LLYs with the tall hoods have the y-bridge and intake updated, whereas the 04.5’s were more prone to over heating- correct?

Were the 04.5s the only year subject to injector harness issues, necessitating the ice pick fix, or are all LLY except 06 code 2 susceptible?

Anything else I’m forgetting or missing when considering and inspecting trucks? Other than the obvious, checking blow by, balance rates with my tech 2, looking for pump rub, leaks etc.

I’ll be looking around 100k-150k miles, looking for something very clean and ideally bone stock to use as old reliable for the next couple years while I mess around with my LB7.

I don't know this as a absolute fact, but both 04.5 and 05 LLY's were identical from what I've seen (I've owned two LLY's, my buddy and my cousin both have them as well that I do all the work on as well). The 06 LLY was a different beast and essentially a LBZ that was detuned.

I would also check the cooling system and make sure its not pressurized and showing bad headgasket symptoms. Generally by now most problematic headgaskets and harness issues have been fixed since the trucks are now 15 years old.

I've put well over 150k extremely rough miles on my 05 LLY with it sitting at 270k now and it honestly hasn't given me any issues that I haven't deserved. I bought it at 115k back in '09.

Personally I feel like LLY's get kind of a bad rap. Especially now a days. Yeah a 6 speed and LBZ would be nice but to me they don't warrant the "LBZ Premium"

Just my $0.02

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I thought there was a reason other than aesthetics that they made the taller hood in 05?

Good point that most would be repaired by now. Is there any visual way to tell that a harness has been ice picked?

Every generation, or every truck for that matter, will have its downsides for every model revisions. That’s just the way it goes, I don’t have any bad vision on LLY - I just want to be prepared. Hell I now have a positive view on LB7s and they probably get the worst rap :roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
04.5 and 05 lly are identical power train wise.

The turbo inlet elbow needs updated, number 2 and 7 injector harness needs re-routed or the gm update pigtails, Ice pick all 8 injector pigtails or replace them, ficm harness will rub through at the top of the ficm bracket (use a hose guard on it), head gaskets are hit and miss on all generations from what I have seen, 5 speed trans doesn’t like much more than 100 hp tune even less if getting beat or towing heavy, pump rub on the t-case seems to be hit or miss as well. That’s about all I can think of that I have personally felt with.

You would have to pull a injector plug to see if it’s been harpooned or not... these trucks are getting to be pretty old, so plan on fuel system stuff, seals, normal steering/suspension bs. Personally I’m not worried about any of them. Each gen seems to have its own little quirks:thumb: