HTT BOV kit

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
Hear anything good about these? Looks nice, just how expensive?
Hey justin look into it i heard that a bov is pretty much useless on a lb7
heres what they said m not sure this is true or not though..Gimme ur opinion

[" listen here to someone who went to school for diesel maintenance...if it is turbo charged do not put a blow off valve or a wastegate on it the way a diesel motor works is through combustion and all the turbo does is forse more air into your intake so that it is easer for the diesel fuel to combust...so without that turbo you are loseing a shit load of air whitch means you are losing a shit load of horsepower...so don't put a blowoff valve of a wastegate on your truck it is just a wast of money!!"}

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
These look kinda like the BD kits. But after other sales from HTT im not much on selling there stuff that much these days.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
these are made by turbo smart, I have to think they would be pretty darn good, I am not sure how you activated it using drive pressure but it does sound possible for sure. I would like to know how also.

bov is to prevent compressor surge (turbo bark)

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
This is the reason I did not offer these some years ago (price). I use the TIAL BOVs for longevity. The reason you install them is so your turbo doesn't bark when you let out of it.

What is turbo bark? It is when the drive pressure (exhaust pressure) is suddenly stopped being delivered to the turbo side of the charger and the compressor side has boost built up between it and the intake side of the engine. Suddenly the built up boost pressure has no where to go so it takes the path of least resistance back out the same direction it can in thus reversing the turbo suddenly (wonderful on the turbo bearings). This effect results in the WOOSH, WOOSH, WOOSH sound.

My BOV is set at about 2-3psi (no back pressure when I get out of it). It scares the POOP out of even the ricers when it goes off at 40+psi (55+psi is even more intimidating). Pretty alarming to those outside when it goes off. Mine is set up through a voltage switch and a spool valve. Its about $500+ to put a good one together using this method. Using drive pressure is ok, but I never got the results or tuning sensitivity I get with the way it's set up now. These are good to have IMHO. Going on 7 years on mine now and zero issues.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
Run a very soft spring in the BOV, drive pressure is higher than boost, pipe drive pressure into the BOV (after running it through some coiled up copper tubing) and it will keep it shut under a load. When you let off DP will nose dive and boost pressure will overcome the light spring and vent.

Found this, sounds like it would work.

ps not sure who posted it

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The drive pressure method does work but I do agree that its not nearly as dead on accurate as the electronically controlled units. But however it works exactly how I need it to.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Hey justin look into it i heard that a bov is pretty much useless on a lb7
heres what they said m not sure this is true or not though..Gimme ur opinion

[" listen here to someone who went to school for diesel maintenance...if it is turbo charged do not put a blow off valve or a wastegate on it the way a diesel motor works is through combustion and all the turbo does is forse more air into your intake so that it is easer for the diesel fuel to combust...so without that turbo you are loseing a shit load of air whitch means you are losing a shit load of horsepower...so don't put a blowoff valve of a wastegate on your truck it is just a wast of money!!"}

The guy you quoted there is an idiot. He evidently doesnt understand completely how the system operates as a whole and the possible operating situations. There are times when compressor outlet pressure overcomes the compressor wheel's abilities to compress said air and it surges (stalls). Despite popular belief the turbo doesnt actually stop or reverse but actually aerodynamically stalls, similer to how an aircraft wing stalls when airspeed is low and angle of attack is too high. Its absolute hell on thrust bearings. A blow off valve is a very good idea if you are running a small very fast responding turbo or very high boost with a single.