How's you nitrous set up?

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
I have been taliking to a few poeple about how to set up a nitrous system on my 02. Off of boost, pedal switch, digital setup? What have you guy's found best for dragracing. Had a 650hp mudstang put a half car on me and want to be ready for him next time.:devil:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Several guys here have first hand experience with diesel N2O, i currently do not. However I purchased the NX 2 stage based on the programming options and available triggers. If it matters NX tech has been OUTSTANDING and they have run it in a DMAX motor.

Before i purchased it i downloaded the software and spent a few days playing with it... read the manual then play with the software, you'll be amazed and what it provides.

When considering the 2 stage think about what a 3rd could do with it. Keep it in the back of your mind if nothing else.

Shortly i may be able to provide some better first hand info.

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
You could run a .30 or .40 pill considered small and use a pedal switch, but if you want to go big progressive kits will help save your rods by bringing the power on smoothly.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I've been kicking around about putting a kit on my truck as I got enough stuff lying around to make one. This is my first toy/work truck that's never had one on it yet:D as everything I've ever raced I sprayed it. If I do it it will be to keep egts down.

Last edited:

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
i use the nos launcher system.contrils multiple stages and can program different ram; rates/times for each rate.the nx system is a pain.i have one in a box hooked up and didnt like it....

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Rule of thumb....

Make sure you have 1000psi in the tank before all runs!

Never hit the juice untill 20psi of boost is seen or 2000rpm!

If it stats popping Turn it off! Listen to your engine.

Back off timing about 4* or put on a low timing tune.

Make sure everything is routed and installed/working correctly.

Start small like .40 jet in a small nozzel 1/16 npt and try it out, watch out for boost #'s and egt's.

smoke is very important too, if you try this combo and it works well, all checks out, then look at your smoke level, if you have none leave it alone, if you do have a bunch, you can add a bigger jet or second stage.

This is as far as i would go with out accually being there to tune it. There is alot more to learn about nos, this is just the basic overview!

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Not sure if you are really going to get much out of a .040" jet. That's like .2 seconds in our trucks. About a .070" will generate ~80rwhp and drop a bit more than a half second, going by memory.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Not sure if you are really going to get much out of a .040" jet. That's like .2 seconds in our trucks. About a .070" will generate ~80rwhp and drop a bit more than a half second, going by memory.

Pat, it was only a starting point for him. to me a .070 is small too.....

i think at one time i was drilling my jets out because i couldent get the right jet size... and my cummins loved it.:D

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
Willing to push the limits but have stock LB7 pistons delipped. The rest of the motor is pretty sound. Will start small and work up from there. Have always been a fuel/turbo only guy but got a kit for free from a friend so I thought I would use it.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Willing to push the limits but have stock LB7 pistons delipped. The rest of the motor is pretty sound. Will start small and work up from there. Have always been a fuel/turbo only guy but got a kit for free from a friend so I thought I would use it.

you'll never go back.........

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Rule of thumb....

Never hit the juice untill 20psi of boost is seen or 2000rpm! why? What physically happens otherwise?

If it stats popping Turn it off! Listen to your engine. Do you know what the noise is? Fire going out?

Back off timing about 4* or put on a low timing tune. Was this experimentally determined?

Thanks, now I'm a newb, and learning...

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Thanks, now I'm a newb, and learning...

Too much power too soon breaks stuff......

Yes fire going out from too much nitrous, and if it does not burn then your just compound compressing a liquid, again this will break stuff...

Backing off timing lowers cylinder psi and compensates for the addition of nitrous, also with less timing the fuel ignition will be later and with nitrous thats what you want.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
2500rpm makes more sense since we never see less than 2500rpm after staging. Most staging is done from 2100-3000 RPM. But in any case, you need either a footswitch, brakelight switch, or other mechanism to avoid the nitrous coming on when you are staging. You'll jump through the brakes, or snap transmission parts.