Question: Hesitate and misfire while driving

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
Hello, my truck is now misfiring alot. In neutral it revs up 90% okay, but in gear driving its running maybe 50%. I can rev up to 1000rpm but any where higher it starts sputtering, knocking, and barely moving. Also the speedometer keeps dropping when it sputters!!
I have k&n filter, 4" turbo back exhaust, and a edge tuner.

I had gm hook up to the tech2, said they scanned it and i needs a ecm, but they were not sure. They said they could scan another hour to know for sure, I asked them to scan more to be certain. They called back and said it needs a injector, so i pulled the injector (it was covered/caked in black soot on one side) cleaned it and put it back, now the balance rate is down on that cylinder, but it's above +4 on 2 others. Should I change 1 or clean them all and see what the result is??? I have seen several engine codes while having this issue but deleted them....these are the current codes

U0100 lost comm with ecm/pcm
P0700 trans ctrl sys error
P0401 exhaust gas recirculation flow insuff detected
P0301 fault cylinder A-misfire detected

Could this all be because of injectors? or possibly my edge tuner? maybe both are the problem? Any help would be appreciated!!

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I would check the pins where the Edge is plugged in first to see if one is pushed in. If that is not the problem put it back to stock and see what it does :thumb:

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
I checked the connector, its 100% fine. I am getting a balance rate of +7 on a cylinder other than the one the dealership said needed the injector. I pulled that injector last night, cleaned it and put it back, still a +4 or more according to my programmer... Should I change that one out?? 2 other cylinders are +3 I guess those are not far behind...:spit:
Also can I clean my egr somehow? Could that be causing the problems? Besides all that, now i'm getting a MAF code again! :mad: It popped up twice this spring, but i deleted it an it stayed away for a while...

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
What year truck? miles? ...fill out sig....

Is the edge a juice with attitude? if so, remove that and put the truck back to stock and see what happens...

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
truck is a 2006 LBZ 90,000miles 4x4

I switched the two injectors(cyl1,7) now the original cyl1 that gm said was no good: in cyl7 spot (which read +4 an up), flow rate now reads +7 or more! cyl 1 again(with cyl7injector installed) reads okay +1 or2 is it possible that its a bad wire or maf....
I read somewhere online maf should read 37 at idle mine is reading 47.

Also that original injector from cyl1 when i pulled it again was stickygummy covered except the tip was dry? I cleaned it off with carb cleaner an tried it in cyl7....
Could that be signs it needs to be changed? for $700 i want to be sure

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
it is edge programmer +100hp, 220tq, i've tried returning to stock and it still doesn't run ok. Also replaced fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel tank out.

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
UPDATE::::

I changed an injector(according to a tech2), now the balance rates seem to be okay!

Still bucks under regular acceleration

Reading codes "lost comm with ecm pcm" and mass air flow code

I changed the Mass Air flow and it doesnt read that code anymore but now reading "EGR flow isufficient" and still runs rough

In neutral it will rev up fine!?

Anyone have any other suggestions or have had this problem before?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I would start by putting the stock air filter back in. This will keep the oil from the k&n from messing up the map sensor. The stock intake and filter flows plenty for a 500 HP truck.

Reactions: Cowboycarson

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I had a similar problem on my 03 and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. It never threw a code for it until it just quit running.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I removed the AFE oil type filter and put the stock powercore paper filter in my LBZ and it just runs so much better without oil in the intake and MAF shooting out codes and it is no headaches now. Tuned after EGR delete with EFI and sweet runner no smoke fast enough for me. It will stay with or leave alot of the neighbor kid trucks now that's the fun part.

duramaxd

May 22, 2012
UPDATE AGAIN::::::::::::::

Changed the oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, ecm, wiring, maf, and it also passed a compression test! Still misfires above 1500rpm, only on 1 cylinder there's a problem. Engine is coming apart next i guess

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Did you try a cam and crank sensor? Pull the crank sensor and stick your finger in the hole and see is the reluctor wheel it loose or frimly bolted in place.If you passed the compression test i see no reason for the motor to came apart.