Here for the wisdom of the Diesel Elders.

DuramaximusPrime

05 Duramax Vin2
Mar 23, 2020
TX

Howdy folks! I am here to learn about 05 lly's so I can help my father upgrade his ride. He's a pretty kickass father so I've been planning this for a while. The main goal is to extend the life of the truck. The secondary goal is 400-450HP. According to what I've read this is safe for the stock trans and within spec for the rest of the vehicle.

After a ton of research and ordering some parts, I am here looking to fill in the other 10% I was unable to make sense of. He is retired and I am disabled so we aren't looking to do extensive work. Time isn't an issue we have plenty of time, just can't spend a fortune or get into something that is too much for a gimp and a 70 year old to pull off. I'll make a post detailing my actual questions on the appropriate board soon.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Welcome to DD tons of info on here you can easily spend searching and reading old threads. If you need more information let us know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Welcome! I think you better turn down your horsepower goal if you want the stock trans to live. An LLY is roughly 250 rwhp stock. I wouldn’t go more than 60-75 hp over that.

DuramaximusPrime

05 Duramax Vin2
Mar 23, 2020
TX
Welcome! I think you better turn down your horsepower goal if you want the stock trans to live. An LLY is roughly 250 rwhp stock. I wouldn’t go more than 60-75 hp over that.

Ok, this took me down a rabbit hole. I found some stock 05 LLY dyno's and it appears your right on the money. The 05 LLY is 310 HP at the crank and about 13-14% less at wheel (266HP). So perhaps this is why I keep seeing varying numbers as to what the Allison can handle. So 330 HP at the wheel sounds like my new goal.

Damn nobody else tell me anything I've already lost over 100HP. :roflmao:

Joking aside I am very grateful to be getting more accurate information. I would be happy to see her make 400k. I am quite glad I joined up!

If I could swing a built trans I certainly would. I guess my aspirations must be tempered but I would rather learn now than pay later!