Help with loping idle, lack of power and poor mpg.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
I have an 02 that I repowered. Its an LMM long block and injectors, 2005 stock LLY computer, ficm, fuel pressure reg and rail sensor, LB7 stock turbo. Harness by Rick F and he sent me a file to remove the security, fix the fuel guage.
Truck runs but of course, power is down due to it looking for the VGT turbo, but the main issue is, the idle lopes, like I have a lumpy cam. I've had a local diesel shop tune it but they can't get rid of it, plus they can't seem to get it to make any power. I could tow the same trailer up steep hills at 90-100 km/h, now I am stuck at 40 km.
MPG is horrible too. Also, on my Tech 2, if I try to read balance rates, its all zero's.
Any idea's on what to look for?
At my wits end, TIA.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
that LLY FICM running the LMM injectors is probably contributing to the power issue. the LLY FICM uses higher voltage at less current to run the injectors while the LMM injectors require less voltage but more current. I'd guess that the dwell time is pretty bad and maybe holding back the fuel being injected vs what the tune says should be injected. I'd increase the PW even more and see if it responds. also, don't forget that the LMM injectors as also smaller then LLY injectors so require more PW to equal the same fuel

may also be the reason for the lope.

balance rates will zero out if the parameters fall too far outside the ECM control.

timing will also play a big part in this as if the injectors are slow to open then that is effectively reduced timing which can hurt the MPG if too far retarded. I think your tuner has more work to do on the PW and timing

Reactions: turbovan

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Thanks. I posted up when I found out this was an LMM and people have ran these injectors on LBZ and LLY's. Maybe this tuner just can't figure it out.
Trouble is, not many tuners around here, maybe 1 or 2 and they don't like doing custom stuff. The guy doing it now doesn't really like messing around.
Sucks because his delete tunes and a bump in power are awesome for customers LBZ, LMM and LML's. They are all getting a nice power bump and huge mpg increases. My friend with his LBZ is getting 20+ mpg, I'm lucky to be getting 12.

I have some fairly new LBZ injectors, was thinking of putting those in. LLY sticks are damn near impossible to find and with no cores, ouch!

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
You can email tuning, it's pretty easy to do. I'm saying you don't have to stick to someone who's in your town.
Asked many "tuners" and no one would help, so the email thing doesn't work anymore.

Ended up getting a deal locally on some LLY sticks and runs like a champ, just getting it tuned for the LB7 turbo, he can handle that one, I think.