*Help* Truck Wont Start

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
Okay, so i am reaching out for some help. I went to get in the truck yesterday and it all of a sudden wouldn't start. The voltage gauge on the truck read about 11ish volts, but when i go to turn it over all it does it click. So i get another vehicle and hook it up to the truck to jump it. The truck starts and runs perfect, gauge reads 14 as it should while driving. I decide it must be the batteries so i go to the local store and pick them up and install them, that leads me to where i am now.

Put the batteries in and the gauge still reads the same. I put a volt meter on the terminals and it reads 12.XX volts even when they are disconnected from each other. I check the starter and it reads the same voltage, but the gauge in the truck reads low. So i thought it was a bad ground, i hook a jumper cable from the engine block to one of the batteries ground and that changed noting. Any assistance in this would be awesome.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
we need to know what those XX are. where did you get the batteries? what kind are they?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Gauges are pretty worthless on these trucks. They give you a rough idea at best of what the engine is doing. If you think the truck is not seeing proper voltage, you should hook up a scan tool and see what voltage reading it shows in the ECM. What is the history on the truck leading up to the starting problem? Has any work been done recently, or have you had any issues with anything else?

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
Got a new update, went and put a multimeter on the batteries while trying to crank. They hold over 12v. I then did a voltage drop from the positive lead of the battery to the starter and only showed a .1. I am going to assume my starter went bad.