Help!! LB7 TCM work on LLY?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Yes, a LB7 programmed TCM will work on a LLY. Running a 2001 LB7 OS with a LLY is actually fairly common.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm 99% sure that the VIN in the TCM doesn't matter to the LLY ECM or BCM and a mismatch shouldn't cause a crank no start. If memory serves, way back when I first got EFI Live, I ordered a TCM that came out if a truck with an 8.1, and I plugged it into my truck and took it for a spin only to find that the shift points were totally wonky. That's when I figured out it had an 8.1 cal in it and once I flashed my original calibration into it, everything was back to normal.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2021
Prescott Arizona
Ok cool. I still need to match the LLY ecm to my bcm I believe tho it’s a swap motor fires with starting fluid(I know I shouldn’t) but wanted to make sure and I have a u0105 code with no bad wires and all good power and grounds

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you can start it with starting fluid, but not by just cranking it, that is a mechanical problem that needs addressed. Usually something is preventing rail pressure from building at cranking RPM, such as a weak/worn CP3, failing injectors, restricted fuel supply, air getting in fuel supply, etc. A scan tool will be needed to watch rail pressure while cranking to verify that is what is happening.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
I think that Cougar281 is saying that if the TCM 5 speed is from a LB7 duramax and you are installing in a LLY duramax it should work ok. You don't not need to vin match it. The imbedded vin is more for the part number of the flash. The only experience I have was on a LBZ and that worked just fine with out programing.
Now if you want to spend the money to get a vin number matched to your VIN I bet someone will be happy to do that for you.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Ah I was thinking the u0105 ( no communication with ficm) was causing it. I don’t have a expensive scanner but I’ll see if mine does have that option thank you

See, if you'd post information like this to start, we'd be further ahead in helping you along. Is it an active code or in the history?

If the ECM is NOT communicating with the FICM, it should do as you described. You stated it will start with ether, but does it stay running?

Mar 6, 2021
Prescott Arizona
Sorry it’s a history code I swapped the tcm like you said and the trans codes went away but not I’m still getting the u0105 and no start unless spraying starter fluid pulled a return line to check for fuel flow and there’s flow for sure I also use a gas lift pump btw

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
It needs to communicate with the FICM to run. Check your main connectors for the engine and FICM.

In your first post, you said LLY swap. Is this a Lb7 to LLY conversion or a total engine transplant into a different vehicle?

Mar 6, 2021
Prescott Arizona
It’s a lb7 to LLY swap full engine under hood harnesses ecm ficm and tcm all swapped into my 04 lb7. I checked all the rub spots for messed up wires and no luck also checked the power and ground at the ficm and it has both only thing I didn’t know how to check is signal