Hello from Texas, need a little guidance today!

tanyalin

Sep 18, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am troubleshooting the #2 & #7 codes on a 2005 LLY. I don't have a clue but I've been reading on this for a couple of days.

Before I ask; I'm going to search for the fuel system wiring diagram as well as the pin map.

Wish me luck! Ha!

A little info what I'm doing: I want to do a continuity test from the pins at the control rail by the alternator to the injector end of the wiring. Therefore I am looking for those 2 diagrams.

Can I reach them by removing the inner firewalls behind the tires?
TIA,

Tanya

Last edited:

tanyalin

Sep 18, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am troubleshooting the #2 & #7 codes on a 2005 LLY. I don't have a clue but I've been reading on this for a couple of days.

Before I ask; I'm going to search for the fuel system wiring diagram as well as the pin map.

Wish me luck! Ha!

A little info what I'm doing: I want to do a continuity test from the pins at the control rail by the alternator to the injector end of the wiring. Therefore I am looking for those 2 diagrams.

Can I reach them by removing the inner firewalls behind the tires?
TIA,

Tanya

tanyalin

Sep 18, 2020
Lookup lly ice pick. Cheap easy and might just solve you issue

Also; the codes it's throwing indicate bad wiring: the harness isn't zip tied to the alt like it is supposed to be; and none of the wiring is secured like it should be. Guy that works on diesels told me to trace the wiring. The ice pick might be a temp fix; but don't I need to find that faulty wire and fix?
Thank you for your advice; I sure need it! All I have to go by is the internet and apparently some wild idea that I can do this (I'm not a mechanic I'm just stupid or bold...maybe a little of both...ha!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Some remove the zip tie because the harness is known to run there on the alternator bracket and short out the wiring. Removing the zip tie gives the harness some slack that keeps it from damaging itself.

The ice pick trick is done at the top of the engine at the injector pigtails. There are also new extensions that you can get to replace and lengthen the injector plugs. Someone else here can probably get you the part number

Reactions: tanyalin

tanyalin

Sep 18, 2020
Some remove the zip tie because the harness is known to run there on the alternator bracket and short out the wiring. Removing the zip tie gives the harness some slack that keeps it from damaging itself.

The ice pick trick is done at the top of the engine at the injector pigtails. There are also new extensions that you can get to replace and lengthen the injector plugs. Someone else here can probably get you the part number

Thanks for the info. It was easy to get to everything I needed behind the plastic fender wells (doesn't hurt to be no bigger than a minute with small hands).

#7 wires were in pretty bad shape and you could tell there had been a fire back there previously; a buddy who has a shop around the corner printed out the pin map for the common rail; and tomorrow I will begin the task of chasing down any bad wiring.
I also want to re-wrap all of the loose wiring that wasn't protected. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I will be able to say I diagnosed; did the troubleshoot, and repaired the injection system wiring on a diesel all by myself!

I am by NO means a mechanic; but I'm getting pretty good at YouTube repair 101! Ha!)