Headliner is starting to peel

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
I have an 07 Classic body GMC. The headliner is starting to pull away from the foam just in front of the visor on the driver side. If this wasn't directly in my line of sight and a distraction I wouldn't be to worried. What have some of you guys used to keep it held up and out of the way. I drive with my windows down pretty much all the time unless my daughters and wife are with me, and this has accelerated how fast it is peeling.

Thanks for the input guys!!

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
You can poke a little hole in it and spray some headliner adhesive back there.
Wait a minute or so for it to tack up a bit and stick the fabric back to the foam.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
You can poke a little hole in it and spray some headliner adhesive back there.
Wait a minute or so for it to tack up a bit and stick the fabric back to the foam.

This is what I did and it worked great, but less is more here. I put too much on it in a few spots and then it looked like a matted mess, but it wasn't ever coming back down.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I had pealing headliner in my VW. I tryed fixing it myself and it didn't turn out so well. I then took it to a guy who did upholstery and headliners. Didn't turn out as good as factory

If I had to do it over I would remove the cloth and coat it in spray rubber or something of the sort

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
On my daily I did it myself. For some reason the local upholstery shop want $250 to apply about $40 retail worth of material. And that was after I already had it out...

The factory color is shale and I believe it is 1/8 thickness foam.

The stuff I bought from a local fabric store has 3/16 foam. I used spray can adhesive from the upholstery shop as well as some 3m spray adhesive. It's already peeling away in some of the formed radius near the center rib.

I strongly believe you need to use the Dap Weldwood Contact Adhesive that is typically bought in bulk to do a job like this but I didn't want to spend any more money on this project incase I had to redo it.

If I don't find a reasonable shop shop near me to do my diesel I may try again and invest in the bulk adhesive along with some cheap spray equipment to get the job done. I would also like to use the fabric with the 1/8 foam this time as it might help in the fromed radius area's.