LLY: Head Gasket Job Some Questions

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Just wrapped up my brothers LLY HG job. Arp studs heads checked and he has also loosened the nut on the oil pump so we fixed it at the same time. He ran the truck for maybe 2 minutes after he lost oil pressure as we were planning to do the HG that weekend. We got it all back together and started it up, ran fine for 5 minutes and started making a whining or whizzing sound. Traced it too the turbo, which when we pulled the mouthpiece has excessive play. He of course said he checked it when he had the truck apart but I would think that there is no way it went bad in literally 5 minutes. I'm guessing it was gone from the nut coming loose on the pump. The line to turbo has lots of oil (currently all over myself) and we are planning to swap another turbo on here now. Just didn't know what everyone's thoughts are on the turbo going bad that quick in truck vs being gone from the lack of oil pump prior to this

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
We pulled mains and checked all the bearings etc. All looked fine. Just guessing it's the no oil that screwed the turbo. Thanks guys we are swapping turbos now.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Look down in the oil supply hole and check to see if it spun the cam bearing. There should be like a little cat eye looking slit in there that the oil supply to the turbo comes through.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If it was spooled and lost oil it's definitely possible to burn out the turbo in 2 minutes or less.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Or its a shitty coincidence. Either way be thankful the motor is still whole. Good time (excuse) for a bigger blower

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk