Hayden Fan Clutch

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Guess I missed this thread. You guys feel that rear shroud on the lbz trucks makes that big of a difference?? I left it off since I had to get the bracket off the block on the driver's side when I did the water pump. After f***in with that stupid shroud support for an hour, I was ready to send it into low earth orbit. My hands don't fit in those places.

Trucks not overheating, neither is trans but I notice my AC starts warming up when I idle a lot. Gonna order a Kennedy clutch based on what I'm reading.....but should I find a way to stick that shroud back in??

AC is is the biggest difference.. rest you really won't notice unless towing heavy or high wind drag loads..

I notice I'd reach peak temps faster and would take longer to cool off without the shroud but never got hotter than normal.. without shroud vs with shroud

I cut 2 scoops off, at the 10/11 and 1/2 position on the shroud makes it alot easier getting the fan on/off

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I would put it back in if you tow. I don't think it will change your a/c much. If you have the blower speed way up and are at idle, you just don't have the air flow or compressor speed to keep the evap cold. Rev it up to 1500rpm and it will go back to cold. I'd put a high idle switch in if you do a lot of sitting in the old girl. I have one in my tracker to help it cool down when I remote start it

That's usually what I wind up doing....can hear the fan start sucking instantly and AC gets cold.immediately. I do lots of towing so I guess I'll have to order another bracket for the block, get that cage back in.

ABSOLUTELY! When your REALLY need good flow thru the cooling stack, having the shroud attached to the back of the radiator will get the job done. Can get pretty hot in Vegas, if you are pulling any heavy loads, I wouldn't be without it. And yes, they are difficult to install. But worth it.

The big radiator shroud is still on. We're talking about the round cage shroud that's attached to the block on the 06 and up trucks.

AC is is the biggest difference.. rest you really won't notice unless towing heavy or high wind drag loads..

I notice I'd reach peak temps faster and would take longer to cool off without the shroud but never got hotter than normal.. without shroud vs with shroud

I cut 2 scoops off, at the 10/11 and 1/2 position on the shroud makes it alot easier getting the fan on/off

I'll have to look at doing that.... That cage doubled the amount of time it takes to do a water pump.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
But the Hayden and Kennedy ones promise to be better as far as engaging earlier etc?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
NO! I ran a stock hayden replacement, and the friggen thing wouldn't engage until 230+, and completely quit after less than 600 miles(the 2886 is too tall to fit into my space, so I'm stuck with factory height clutches). The new kennedy clutch is built by hayden, but to kennedy's specs. So far I'm very happy with mine, I just hope it holds up. I know his older fan clutches were very good, but he recently changed to hayden for his fam clutches.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Advance has a 'severe duty' that crosses part numbers with the 2886 for $69. Wondering if I should stick to a real Hayden or go Kennedy or what

its probably a rebaged hayden as well.

i would run a hayden. Ferm had a bad one and Adam had a bad one. Adam has gone through 3 other ones just from wear and tear, didnt have an issue till now. i have one on my truck and no issues either. Anthony has one on his and no issues. if its not kicking on sooner or not working right, just return it and get a new one.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
its probably a rebaged hayden as well.

i would run a hayden. Ferm had a bad one and Adam had a bad one. Adam has gone through 3 other ones just from wear and tear, didnt have an issue till now. i have one on my truck and no issues either. Anthony has one on his and no issues. if its not kicking on sooner or not working right, just return it and get a new one.

I had 2 bad ones as the one I put on when I did my swap died a similiar death, but it lasted about 50k miles before it completely died. To some thats considered the life of a fan clutch, but to me that was premature failure. That said, I'm still running a Hayden, it's just kennedy's special calibration. If I was to buy another hayden though, it would be one in a hayden box, not a parts store reboxxed one.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Figured I'd link this here..
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77248
All the temps have dropped some more than others, required throttle has dropped for given load, mpg is up if I can keep my foot out if the turbo,
Video if me getting on the freeway with window open.. LED lights in the rear cause fast blinker ;)
https://youtu.be/xoY3WxQoi6E
Compliment of Mr wolflly
21167657_10212801865695037_8656409097346136205_o.jpg

21125448_10212801867335078_7481378681417391943_o.jpg

This is load home from Iowa 17500lb of deer feed 5' tall 8' wide ~34000gross normal I run 60-65 in 5th with similar loads, with clutch fan, with solid hub ran easily 70-72 in 6th.. it would run 70-72 with thermal clutch but it would get warmer than I'd like and mpg would drop
21200715_10212828995773272_8959121316748477168_o.jpg

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wow not the results I figured at least for mileage. Surely it can't be the weight difference between the hub and clutch? Any idea what that difference might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Only thing I can think of is the increased air flow across the CAC cooling the air off more than normal...
Seams it's currently net positive on HP
The 1° cooler equals 10hp thumb.. seams to come to mind but couldn't get AIT logged

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
i know you left it off not long ago during one of the engine swaps. cant remember why but we were talking about it and you were telling me how much higher coolant temp was running from it. ill have to go back through our FB messages about it. my memory sucks

EDIT: yup, christmas eve last year we were talking about you leaving that rear shroud off after the swap and trans temp went up 25*, eot, ect, and so on were running 20-30* higher than normal with it on. hell of a difference with and without it
Lb7/lly block dont have the bosses for the lower brackets... And i had no way at the tine to make them....
Ive since made brakets
At the time fkeece didn't know the difference in the blocks.... When I was there to get my new cam keyed got the run down... And they are all marked now

What shroud is this? I never noticed on my LBZ, and apparently my LB7 doesn't have it?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
01-05 dont have the engine to fan shroud. only 06 and up. its a cage around the fan that lets the fan seal much tighter to the shroud and create more CFM through the rad.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
01-05 dont have the engine to fan shroud. only 06 and up. its a cage around the fan that lets the fan seal much tighter to the shroud and create more CFM through the rad.
Hmm, like I said, never noticed on my LBZ. Is it something anyone's ever adapted to the 01-05 trucks? Or is it not worth it?

Not to derail the thread but a potential new LB7 purchase and this thread/your cooling thread on your old limo have me thinking more about cooling recently - Kennedy's fan clutch, sandwiching a fan between the factory fuel cooler and an additional oil cooler and/or trans cooler, wondering about this additional shroud, etc