Haulmark Thrifty

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I have a short window to jump on this, but I’m not very experienced in enclosed trailers, so I’m hoping for some advice.

I’m looking for an enclosed car carrier and there’s a 2006 24’ Haulmark Thrifty with 5k torsion axles about 2hrs a way for $3800. I’ve read mostly good reviews, and understand this is their budget line. I’ve also read a few really negative reviews. It’s tough to know whether it’s a decent deal, since it’s a bit old. It has some bumps and bruises but nothing terrible. Newer tires etc.

Any informed opinions about this line of trailer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wally

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I would ask to test pull it if possible, make sure the axles are not bent , stand to the rear and look straight down the side and make sure the one or both of the axles are not tilted or misaligned if it pulls alright and you purchase it , pull the wheels and drums repack the bearings, new seals ,and inspect the pads and magnets. In my opinion the 3800 is at the high end of a 13 year old trailer but maybe he’s up for negotiation.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks. The age is a major concern to me. As for the price he’s set in stone because he’s been getting offers a few hundred less and won’t budge; he said $3800 or don’t bother coming. He scheduled people every half hour to look at it, so it sounds like really checking over thoroughly would be a pain too. He sent me some additional pics and info last night that make it look less appealing too. I’m thinking I’ll pass and keep looking. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yeah if he's got offers for less why isn't he taking them, typical sales move. If I was buying an older trailer I'd want to look it over really good, test pull it like said above, even pull a wheel if I could.
Years ago I bought s trailer that was a sweet deal, turns out it had quite a few issues. Lesson learned.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
He said he has so many people interested that he’s not lowering the price. He said he’s getting offers like $3000-3200. I dunno. It seems like these things sell fast, even ones I’ve thought were outrageous. A 1996 8x28 I made an offer on sold for $4500. I was shocked- it’s 23yrs old! I’ll keep looking. Thanks.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
3800 doesnt seem bad if its well kept, new tires, and fresh bearings in it.

there are idiots out here paying more for used trailers than buying them new :roflmao:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I asked those questions and he said that one bearing was replaced a few years ago, two of the tires were replaced a year ago, and no answer about the brakes I questioned. The pics late last night that I got showed rusty hinges and such, a hole in the side door and hasp damage from an attempted break in, and some dents and stuff. It also made it look more chalky and old. It didn't leave me with the "pride in ownership" that I was hoping to see for me to trust buying an old trailer.

As for new prices - I see some killer cheap new ones coming out of Georgia. Too bad I'm in NJ!

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
A lot of the Georgia trailers are very cheaply made , thin gauge frame , thin exterior aluminum 24 on center walls and very poor wiring, there cheap for a reason, so be careful.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Appalachian is right over in PA, go check out their stuff?

Or Hecht has a big selection of stuff in Lakewood