Harsh downshifting

20dmax08

Apr 13, 2018
Having some harsh downshifting, trans with harsh downshift to 3 shift back to 4 then go back to 3. Will also downshift hard 2-1. No trouble codes, fluids good, and spin on changed. Any thoughts? Speed sensor in t case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Sounds like you have the same downshift jerking problem that half the people with built trans I know have. Mine does it bad and has been doing it for over 100,000 miles of 550-650 hp. I have had it to downshift hard enough to squall the tires. No codes, no trans slip nothing, acceleration is smooth as butter.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I have replaced the transfer case speed sensor. I have also replaced the slip yoke with a nickel plated one, nothing helps. I think these built transmission are just tight enough that sometimes on a downshift it suddenly takes up any slack in the driveline causing it to jerk. The weird thing is some of them don't do it, I don't think your ever going to get a straight answer on this.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like you have the same downshift jerking problem that half the people with built trans I know have. Mine does it bad and has been doing it for over 100,000 miles of 550-650 hp. I have had it to downshift hard enough to squall the tires. No codes, no trans slip nothing, acceleration is smooth as butter.

I think you may be overblowing the number of built trans with this problem and misleading and scaring the OP. While the people you know may have issues, that doesn't represent the average. Both Mike and Even build transmissions that rarely have issues.

OP, reach out to Even if you used his kit. He has always stood by his products and will take care of you. Alternatively you can call Inglewood transmission and talk to Mike or Even. It will be easier to discuss your issues over the phone then waiting for a reply here

20dmax08

Apr 13, 2018
I have replaced the transfer case speed sensor. I have also replaced the slip yoke with a nickel plated one, nothing helps. I think these built transmission are just tight enough that sometimes on a downshift it suddenly takes up any slack in the driveline causing it to jerk. The weird thing is some of them don't do it, I don't think your ever going to get a straight answer on this.

Mine never did it for the longest time. Not like this only on the 2-1 downshift intermittently. Will try the speed sensor I think and see. Maybe someone out there has an answer hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I am not trying to mislead anyone, I called Evan himself about mine about a year and a half ago and he told me it was hit and miss and that they were not sure why some of them done it and some didn't. Maybe things have changed since.. again I did not mean any harm I should not have put a percentage on it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
2 tubes of Lube Gaurd will usually fix the problem. 3 if you have a deep pan.

Attachments

• lubegaurd.jpg
    lubegaurd.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 79

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I'm about to do another transmission double drain and fill. I have ran Walmart Dex III so far and it's worked fine. But should I do something different like suncoasts synthetic trans fluid? I know years ago most builders reccomended Dex III but is that still the standard or is there better?

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Change the internal filter as those clutches tend to shed and restrict filter. Dex 3 is fine.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Change the internal filter as those clutches tend to shed and restrict filter. Dex 3 is fine.
That's good to know mike, I changed the fluid very soon after it was built and then about every 30-40,000 miles after that, and I change the internal filter every single time. Spin on get's changed about every 15,000.