Hard to start need to prime system question

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
I have a 2002 with 204000 on her . Yesterday I went to come home from work . The truck started up fine . Ran a few seconds and died like I shut off the key .Called my daughter to come pick me up . Went back out to see if I could figure it out .Checked for codes came up with the intake heater and glow plugs weren't working . That has been an issue for a few months . The engine was turning over great !!! So I wondered fuel filter ? I pushed the primer button and there was no resistance . I pumped till it got stiff and it started right up . Could this be only a filter problem ? There is no lift pump is no lift pump ? Could it be possible that something is not turning on the injector pump ? I can't remember when I changed the fuel filter ? Thanks

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You are losing prime. It's likely one of 3 things: a bad WIF sensor, a bad filter bleed screw, or bad o-rings. When I run across that problem, I usually rebuild the filter head with a deluxe rebuild kit from Merchant. It comes with all the o-rings for the filter head as well as an aluminum bleed screw and WIF sensor delete plug.

And you are correct, there is no lift pump from the factory. The engine driven CP3 pump in the valley pulls fuel all the way from the tank.

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
You are losing prime. It's likely one of 3 things: a bad WIF sensor, a bad filter bleed screw, or bad o-rings. When I run across that problem, I usually rebuild the filter head with a deluxe rebuild kit from Merchant. It comes with all the o-rings for the filter head as well as an aluminum bleed screw and WIF sensor delete plug.

And you are correct, there is no lift pump from the factory. The engine driven CP3 pump in the valley pulls fuel all the way from the tank.
I have ordered a wif and wondered if it could be changed out with a filter change ? Thanks for your help !!

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
The WIF is always replaced as a part of the fuel filter change because it screws into the bottom of the fuel filter. You either replace your existing WIF with new or use your old one.

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
The WIF is always replaced as a part of the fuel filter change because it screws into the bottom of the fuel filter. You either replace your existing WIF with new or use your old one.
Well they probably did . Turns out that wasn't the issue . The filter had a hole in it from a wire loom rubbing on it . So I went ahead and put a new sensor in and it's running great !!! Thanks for your hep and advice !!!