Going to do the forbidden... Duramax in a dodge

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
Okay you beautiful lads, can someone tell me the specs on an 07 1 ton with the 161.6 wheelbase, 6.6 Duramax and 6 speed Allison? And what the differences, if any, are between 2wd and 4wd? I'm trying to see if my tcase needs replaced or if it'll be fine, it's a 3/4 ton dodge 4wd longbed frame so I got plenty of room, going to ask dodge guys on tcase specs, lol they want me to replace hemi or go Cummins, I love me a good Duramax though

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
And also, recommendations on what needs looked at/ replaced on a good running Duramax with 440k on it, just started smoking out exhaust 3k before it got parked but coulda been old oil and it's only when you get on it good

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
The duramax/allison is paired(from GM) with an NP261xhd manual or 263xhd electric case, they have specific larger diameter 31spline shafts vs the more common smaller 32spline.
At 440k you need to rebuild the turbo,replace the injectors, glow plugs, and cp3 pump, replace the water pump and while you are at it do both the front and rear main seals. Remove the air horn and intake bridge and clean it out. Replace the fuel rail pressure sensor.
I'd consider doing head gaskets as well..

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'd sell the truck and go buy a GM if your itching for a Duramax. Your looking at tons of work and the truck will have almost no resale value, I'd just swap in another hemi and go find yourself a nice LMM. Just my 2 cents.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The duramax/allison is paired(from GM) with an NP261xhd manual or 263xhd electric case, they have specific larger diameter 31spline shafts vs the more common smaller 32spline.
At 440k you need to rebuild the turbo,replace the injectors, glow plugs, and cp3 pump, replace the water pump and while you are at it do both the front and rear main seals. Remove the air horn and intake bridge and clean it out. Replace the fuel rail pressure sensor.
I'd consider doing head gaskets as well..

They use a 29 spline, not 31 or 32 spline.

And Içm not sure about mounting a Dodge transfer case to a GM trans. I know a GM transfer case will bolt to a Dodge trans using 5 of the bolt's(most of the time you can drill a hole for the 6th bolt), but GM and Dodge used the same trans to case pattern, but clocked them 90 degrees off from each other.